underground homes

Started by timothy myers, August 18, 2014, 02:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timothy myers

My name is Tim.  I am looking to build a home underground a (Hobbit Hole)  I already have the plans for such a dwelling. but have ran into a problem.  I want to build in Texas or Nevada, and I am not sure if I need a permit if its out of the city limits,  the structure I believe would meet any criteria considering the dimensions,  the hole house would be made of pressure treated lumber.  the sides would be made of 6x6x20 also the support beams,  the truss beams are also 6x6x20.  the floor joists are pressure treated 2x6,  coverd with 3/4 plywood.  my main concern would be the permits,  I have already priced the lumber, and by my calculations should run around 8000.00,  do I need a professional designer to draw up the plans and submit them to the county or city.  or should I just buy the property . build my home. and worry about the city and county after its done.  sincerely tim

hpinson

Welcome.  This is a great place to ask those sort of questions, and now is the time to do it, before you buy and start building.

Over a certain tiny size, you will need a number of permits and approvals. These could be state, county, or municipal. Enforcement varies, but is becoming more and more universal nationwide.  The time to find out what you need to build is now, or you risk at the minimum hassles (with the government, with neighbors), and at worst serious and costly legal trouble with the Government, that you can't win.

Your County will likely have a building or planning department, and you would want to contact them for specific building requirements.  Many counties post this information on their websites. When counties do not, often you are bound by State requirements. A personal visit to the County offices might be in order.

Since what you describe sounds a bit out of the ordinary - it is likely that an engineer would be required - not just a designer. Engineers review, develop, and technically justify plans that do not use building code-prescriptive building techniques. They do the math to ensure your structure will safely stand under the environmental conditions of your build site. Wind, snow load, earth roof load, earthquakes, that sort of thing.  Designers can't do that unless they are licensed as an engineer.

Maybe others could post some links to threads that would be of interest. There is a lot that addresses these questions on this forum.

John Raabe

Good overview and suggestions from hpinson.

When planning a visit to the county you may want to bring along information such as the parcel number and legal description as you will likely be able to find information about the history of the land and the types of soils you will be working with. There may also be a topography map you can get a copy of.

It might be worth your time to ask around if there are other earth sheltered houses that have been built nearby.

Best wishes on an interesting project.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

cabin fever

Cool idea.  Do you intend to burry the whole thing after? or dig underground first? 

Unless you have a charitable supply of pressure treated lumber, I would use concrete or block wall

John Raabe

Tim sent me an email asking if permits, engineering, and a licensed contractor will be needed.

The short answer is maybe. Local zoning and building requirements vary considerably from place to place. That visit to the county planning office will give you a much better idea of how they would treat what will likely be an unusual house. Take a sketch of what you want to build and the location information mentioned above.
None of us are as smart as all of us.