roof pitch greater then 12/12

Started by mvk, February 08, 2008, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvk

I like steep roofs and know that there are engenerring issues with greater then 12/12 but what are they? I can see them with low pitches, but what about steep. Does it have to do with being over 45 degrees, bigger roof more wind load, span? I have framed a couple and re roofed a few.

Thanks mike

ScottA

I've seen lots of houses with a roof pitch greater than 12/12. Do a search for the gothic style house and you should find some. I don't see why pitch would be a problem except maybe for shingles. I know some shingles need to be glued down above a certain pitch.

mvk

Thanks Scott

I knew about the roofing did a ton of mansards, strip the tape off the back and doubled nailed them at least that was what I was taught.

I'm all over the net looking at housing stuff and keep seeing it mentioned about engineering over 12/12.  I can't think why my self don't, think it would be about roofing. Think that's  on the back of the bundle?

Thought that since it's over 45 degrees and  everything is braced at 45 degrees that might have something to do with it, maybe span, ridge height from deck, maybe it's a myth.

Wish I knew more about engineering anyway. Engineering for dummies! Would like to have a video that walked you through a whole house with plenty of examples. Any engineers want to make a video?  Used to watch some public TV shows on physics late at night, loved them,  wife, kids, friends, thought I was nuts. Never had that stuff in school I was a shop guy.

Mike