hey folk, my introduction, and pics of land purchase

Started by hillbillie, November 27, 2013, 03:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillie

How yall are? So I'm new here, but have lurked before. Its been a great inspiration from yall to keep me motivated to do this, and I just took a big first step. 3 1/4 acre in a mountain subdivision with relaxed restrictions in Ellijay, GA. Already a well dug and pump installed, already a elec drop pole on site, so there is that out of the way. My next step will be clearing and septic.

I'm looking closely at the Volks and Grandpa cabins on this site. My elderly father will be living there, and has very limited mobility. Bathroom will be accessible, and trying to learn other things I can do to make his movements around the house easier.

??? now lets see if i can get some pics posted

property is on the right, and holds the high ground and a good stretch of the ridge line. in the valley to the left is flat branch creek, feeds into mountaintown creek. some of the best trout fishing and kayaking around here. short drive to the appalachian trail. just below the cohutta wilderness. and two hours back to atlanta. i'm happy.

well, picture didn't work, obviously there is a little learning curve  [waiting] still working it... GOT IT  c*
For every house is built by a Man, but the Lord is the builder of all things. Hebrews 3:4
Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1
By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established. Proverbs 24:3

rick91351

Hey hillbillie  w* from your neighbors Rick and Ellen.  We live just up the road a fair piece  in Idaho. 

Both the Volks or the Grandfather Cottage are great options.  Would your father be living alone there or would he be sharing with you or some one else?  With the elderly - some do it easy and with some it is one fall right after another.  Some their is no problem with hygiene others just seem to not care anymore.  Then there is the problem with meds...... (Voice of experience in all the above)

If it were me I would do the Volks with a pocket door between the master bedroom and bath.  I would opt for a walk in shower omitting the tub and where you or a caregiver could actually roll a wheelchair right into the shower.  Another thing when you get started framing incorporate blocking for hand rails and such all through the house.  Hey I am doing that in the house we are building right now but figure this is our last home.....  The grabs and rails will come someday if we hang on to it or our kids hang on to it......

Just an idea or two......
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hillbillie

A walk in shower is Dads requirement. Unfortunaly, he hates bathrooms with two doors, makes him nervous a grandkid is going to bust in on him grunting. I will look at ways to lightly frame that wall, if need be and he is confined to a chair simply knock out the hole and hang a pocket door. He likes the look of the Volks. I'm fairly sure we'll that route. So, I'm hoping to park a vintage circa POS '75 AS Overlander out there and begin constuction next year. Style cues will be rustic shack.

Question, and this may be more properly placed in the plans help question. Is there a materials list for sub bidding on the Volks? Or does it use the same list as the Grandpa house? When I see my Pop tonight he'll be full of questions.
For every house is built by a Man, but the Lord is the builder of all things. Hebrews 3:4
Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1
By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established. Proverbs 24:3