Cancel Permit vs. No Call For Inspection vs. Expiration

Started by mixedgasdiver, November 18, 2008, 08:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedgasdiver

Long story short -

Took out an electrical permit last year to do some work. For a variety of reasons, I finished the work designated on the permit and never called for any inspections.

At this point I'm approaching the year expiration on the permit. Everything is buttoned back up around my house, one would never know anything was ever done.

I'd like to let the whole thing die and fade away, but not sure what the best way to do this is. If I just don't call, do cities usually call or stop by to check in on progress? If I cancel do I need to jump through any hoops? Do permits just expire and fade away with no issues?

If it matters, I live in Tacoma, Wa - one of the most communist cities in the nation.

Thanks,

Rob

MountainDon

Quote from: mixedgasdiver on November 18, 2008, 08:04:02 PM
... I finished the work designated on the permit and never called for any inspections...

As in doing wiring in the wall framing, then applying drywall or whatever over it all and then all finished without any inspector at all ever? Not just missing the final after they approved the rough in work?   :o

If inspectors have never set foot in the place to see anything at all I believe you would be asking for trouble to tell them about it now. I wouldn't even attempt to cancel the permit if there is such a thing. They already have your money; they'd likely charge you more for canceling.

In my experience the inspectors never come around just to see how things are progressing. The need to be summoned by you or the contractor. Then you sit around half the day waiting for them, but that's another issue. The only other time they just drop by is when a neighbor complains or if they are in the area and notice a building going up and wonder why they haven't been called to inspect.

I had a project back home that somehow got completed without the final inspection ever being done. No certificate of occupancy either. What was I thinking?   ;D  d*  However, they never came around, never sent a letter, nothing. The job or permit simply fell through the cracks in the system. The house sold with no problems or questions.

So my guess is that you have or are falling through a crack.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mixedgasdiver

Yes, no electrical inspection... I started a remodel on a bedroom for our son when my wife was 7 months pregnant. Called for a rough-in 1 month later. First inspection (took the day off work) never happened because of a "scheduling conflict" with the inspector. Next inspection had to take place 7 days later - the power company is short inspectors because of the economy - once again he never showed up and yes, I took another day off work. So after hearing that the next available time was 9 days later I just decided to move on with the work. Got everything painted, floor sanded, trim up, furniture in, etc. one day before my wife gave birth.  :)

At the time I kinda thought if no one ever came out to inspect then the work never really happened.  ??? Everything was finished up tip-top and looks like the rest of the house. Now that I'm approaching the one year anniversary of the permit, I just wasn't sure what would happen. I guess if anyone calls, the work was never started - bad economy and all. Again, just wasn't sure what happens at the end of the permit period.

Thanks

glenn kangiser

I'd let it sit until you hear from them -- maybe never then if you hear form them cancel it if possible with no problems.  Changed your mind as I recall didn't you say? hmm

I had one here for power - cancelled it because the asked me what I was going to do- I told them I thought it just expired, but they were hoping for more money for a renewal.  You contract with them to allow them access to your property.  Cancel the contract and they have no right ofd entry, but leave it be unless there is reason.  You don't want to tear your walls out to show them...and if you invite them you will tear it all up for them as they will be ticked.  Let sleeping parasites lie.

Reading your post --- yes --- as you recall it never happened --- funny you were so lax about that --- all the good intentions and all.   rofl
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.