Need to decide on flooring

Started by Arky217, June 09, 2012, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

I'm getting close to having to decide on what to use for flooring.

Hate carpet, so that's definitely out; and don't want those snap together laminate panels either.

I need something relatively inexpensive (preferably not more that $2/sq.ft) and would like it to be very water resistant.

I've not read much good about the vinyl tiles, especially the peel-and-stick type.

Is there a decent $2/sq.ft. vinyl sheeting that's available ?
Lowe's has vinyl sheeting 12' long that's both glue down and floating.
Anyone have any experience with it ?
Which would be the best install method for a plywood subfloor, glue or float ?

I've also considered 12" square ceramic tiles over backerboard.
Would my floor be stiff enough for ceramic ?
It consists of 3/4" T&G Advantech on 2x8 joists that span 7'6" on 19.2" centers.

Any suggestions,
Arky

MountainDon

Plenty good for ceramic tile. Depending on the exact species that's better than a deflection of L/720  !!!   :) :)

We love tile. Depending on the room size a larger tile like 16 x 16 might look better. Less grouting too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

For our first O/B project we faced the same dilemma---went to Home Depot and someone had ordered and cancelled (after delivery) a stack of A-1 grade maple veneer plywood, enough for our whole house.  It was 3/4".  It went down over the subfloor---I screwed it from underneath and biscuit joined the edges, then a few coats of polyurethane.  The floor looks great and wears well, I'm using Oak veneer plywood for this next project.  It will come to $1.46 per square foot.
Find what you love and let it kill you.