Greetings!

Started by Virginia Gent, April 05, 2009, 02:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Gent

Hello everyone! As you can tell by my post counter, I'm new here. Someone linked your site on the modern homestead and I clicked to check it out and I was impressed with everything. I must say I never thought of building my own house but what the heck! I'm sure I can get all my questions answered here, and then some, for when trouble comes my way.

It'll probably be a while before I can do anything concerning a house, however, as I am still finishing up school, then I have to actually try and find a a job. However, I am close to doing both so I hope to have enough money saved by 2010 or so to start; I'd really rather not take out a loan but I suppose it depends on how excited I am to start all of this when the time comes :P

Anywho, I look forward to gettin' to know y'all!
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

ScottA

w* Virginia Gent

Good luck to you on your future plans.

tesa

w*

we just purchased our plans on friday

most likley be awhile before we break ground, but having the plans is sweet!

the decission was very hard, lots to choose from

take your time, poke around and see what others are doing

we're about two weeks away from moving onto our property, stayin' in the RV for awhile, and
sockin' away some green

hopefully we'll be able to start building early next year, as we want to save as much as we can
proir to starting construction.  we spent most of our savings paying cash for the property, buying
solar panels, and all the things that go along with that, and building a shed for the rv so we can
harvest our rainwater

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

devildog

welcome also VG!  JUst curious about what part of virginia your from, I have land in hillsville.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Virginia Gent

Sorry for the late reply DevilDog. I currently live in Richmond with my girlfriend and we don't have internet. So I either have to log on while at work, or when I go over to my parents house; they live in Powhatan.

Right now I'm training to be a fire fighter and I'm almost done. I have a few job prospects lined up and have qualified to take the written test in both Harrisonberg and in Loudoun County. Loudoun would pay more, but I LOVE the Shenandoah Valley. So I'm secretly pulling for Harrisonberg! Assuming that dream comes to fruition, I would love to live in Highland County. Total population is less than 3,000 so there is tons of land open, and not a lot of people ... my two favorite things. I'm quite interested in homesteading so that county seems like it would be the best for me. However, like I said, I'm still years, at best, away from getting anywhere close to my dream so I have a lot of time to plan and scout locations.

How is Southwestern Virginia treating you D.D.?

Also, thanks for the warm greetings everyone!  ;D
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~