landscaping / seeding-reseeding question

Started by cbc58, March 16, 2010, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

i have a drainge issue on the side of my house due to some development uphill that now brings water down to my property.  i have to re-contour my lawn and build it up so that the water drains and does not collect (which it does now).

my question is:  if I build up the ground 4-6 inches... can i plant new grass over the old grass... or do i have to rip up the old grass first?  the way my house is situated i have to create a mound in the middle of my side yard and then taper it two ways so that water drains to both the front and rear of the house.  really don't want to have to rip up all the grass that's there....

anyone done anything like this before or know the answer?  tks in advance.

glenn kangiser

I don't see any reason to rip up the old grass first except that it may be a bit easier to level, but mowing the grass will even things out eventually anyway.

I tear up the hill  side every year for fire protection and whether there is grass under it or not it always comes back looking great each year.

Others may know more or have a differing opinion about this - just my own opinions and experiences.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

cbc, I see no reason to rip up the old grass... would think that it should help hold the soil in place while you're waiting for your new seeds to grow.  Don't know where you are, but if you're in an area where it will grow, I highly recommend planting buffalo grass instead of the typical bermuda because:  It only grows 3-5" high so you don't have to mow, it is very drought resistant, and it doesn't take over areas where you don't want it as bad as Bermuda (yet it tolerates quite a bit of foot traffic.)  It is genus Buchloe (if memory serves, the species that grows around here is Buchloe dactyloides.)  Great stuff.... I wish that there was no Bermuda in our yard!

cbc58

tks for the replies.  i guess a better way to phrase the question is as if you had an existing lawn and then came and put 4-5" of topsoil on top of it and then planted new grass seed.  my concern is that the seeds would not take for some reason because the roots would hit the old grass below... or somehow the old grass might make it's way through the new topsoil or hinder the new grass.  hope that makes sense.

still o.k. to go over it you think??    i'll look into buffallo grass...

Homegrown Tomatoes

really don't think the old grass will cause any problem... just be like adding a lot of organic material to the soil = richer soil.

devildog

cbc58, it doesnt hurt to put dirt over grass. 4-6" of dirt on top will kill it. The seed or sod would do well because of the new, loose ( non compacted ) soil.As HT said old grass will deteriorate.                            And as far as diverting water from your house goes,I always prefer to cut down than build up. But that depends on if you have enough fall for drainage. Usually you can cut in a slight swale for the water to follow.
Another option is putting in a drain box in the lowest area thats holding water(put top of box 1-2" below natural grade) and make the area around it fall to the box and then drain to a lower area.
Im just making these suggestions because its usually less area to repair.

Sorry if this has come too late ive been out of town. hope this helps.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985