I’m a real truck farmer you idiot

Started by peternap, September 10, 2009, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/im-a-real-truck-farmer-you-idiot/

Written by Peter Nap, Master Farmer

Yesterday, my wife decided to have her car washed at Car Pool. I went along to pick her up.

The fellow there told her that it was normally $54.00 for SUV's but if I promised NOT to get my truck washed, while pointing at the Green Hornet, he would do it fot $44.00.

I took great offense to that. In addition to being a tree farmer and a small grain farmer, I'm a truck farmer.

I aked him if he liked fresh, really fresh, vegetables, raised organically. He told me he was very interested in healthy food. It was then that I explained truck farming...not these wannabees that grow in a field and haul their old vegetables to a farmers market. The REAL thing that allows people to pick them right off the vine, but at their doorstep.

He just sighed and said there was no such thing. "Not true" I said....

"I have the best topsoil in the state, right on the passenger side of my truck. This year I grew a bumper crop of potatoes, right there."

He looked interested. If it's all organic, how do you handle pests like Potato Bugs", he asked?

I hated to give away trade secrets, but I was kind of proud of my organic gardening...so I told him.

"First, I stop at one of the salvage stores and buy the oldest can of Black Beans, I can find. Then I eat them, roll all the windows up, and drive around for an hour. After that, there isn't a live bug in the thing. See, 100% Organic!"

He was impressed.

Then I dropped the big one. "This truck also grows farms", I said and his face changed to skeptical again. "What...your putting me on" he scoffed.

"No, really" I chuckled...."see all that mud under the thing?" He frowned "How could I miss it?"

"Well...I make a point of driving it out in the country once or twice a week. When I get back, I park it on a small piece of property I own...and hose it off. Over the years I've grown a quarter acre plot in Hanover, to over 10 acres. I'm hoping to make it 100 by the time my kids inherit it".

He knew he'd met a Master Farmer and turned to my wife. "If you come back within 30 days, I'll give you another $5.00 discount but I would need a permit from the DEQ to wash his.

You just can't teach some people anything!

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 10th, 2009 at 9:29 am and is filed under Blogroll, Editorial. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Edit this entry.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!