Single hung windows Vs double hung

Started by John_M, April 21, 2005, 11:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Does anyone think there is any advantages or disadvantages on using either single hung or double hung windows in a seasonal use cabin.  

This cabin will be a weekend retreat / hunting cabin.  It will be closed up January thru March.  This cabin is being built in the Southern Tier of Western New York.

It just appears to me that single hung seem to be more cost effective.

spinnm

I have never, in all my houses, pulled down the top pane.  Waste of $$, I think.....unless it's upstairs and you wash the outsides that way.

I don't like either of them.  Prefer casement or awning  so the exterior sill stays clean.

rwalter

John,

Where are you building in the Southern Teir?  I am looking at a similar project in Little Valley/Napoli. I pretty much set on going with double hung windows though. I'm not sure if your familiar with Lenco Lumber. I know they sell a lot of vinyl single hung windows at low prices. I personally have decided to go with Anderson 200 series double hungs since I might use this cabin as a retirement home. I'd be interested in hearing more about your plans. I to am looking at building a vaction/hunting cabin so it sounds like our plans are very similar. If you would rather keep it private send me a private message on this board or I'll send you my email address.

jraabe

Windows are a personal choice and your own experience and budget will help to determine your best options. Style of the house also comes into play.

Double hungs are traditional and good looking. The advantage of opening top and bottom is used to improve airflow, but will only be noticed if the room has only one window. Also, modern windows with screens need to have screening on both panels whereas vertical sliders are clear glass on the top.

Here are my personal opinions and experience:
• double hungs are not worth the trouble or expense unless you are after an historic look.
• sliding windows (either vertical or horizontal) are inexpensive with simple hardware, they are easy to clean and simple to install screens. They are also clean looking and don't stick out.
• casements are OK where you need to have a tall panel of uninterrupted glass but most cranks and screens destroy the clean look anyway. Plus, when they are open (first floor) I'm always afraid a kid will smack into the corner.
• casements, awnings and hoppers are best used on upper floors where you need the additional opening area and where you might be willing to leave off the screens.
• french windows (tall paired casements) are very inviting and romantic and an exception to my more practical advice about sliders. Use these for accent and connection to the outside but not for everyday screened ventilation.
• for cost effectiveness and good energy performance find a locally made vinyl frame window with low-E glass (perhaps argon filled if you are at a low elevation). Trim out on the inside with a wood wrap and the white frames will be quite acceptable.