Deck attachment to porch posts

Started by grover, July 24, 2014, 01:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

Seeing the other deck question got me thinking about my porch/deck that runs the full length of the cabin.  I'm going to call it a porch even though it will be built as a deck would be built.  I have 4-6x6 posts holding up the roof that will cover the porch.  The porch will be 8 ft wide and 28 ft long so I guess that means a post every 9 ft 4 inches. 
What is the proper way to connect the beam that runs the length of the cabin to the posts?  I don't think it is enough to just bolt them to the front.  I think they are supposed to be inset into the posts so the bolts won't be holding all the weight of the deck.  Am I right about that?  Do I need a double thickness beam there?  I assume a single beam will be fine but I'm not sure.  If it is doulble thickness then that means I have to cut 3 inches into my 6 x 6 which does not sound good. 
I'm hoping you will be able to lend some advice.  Oh, and the porch is only about 2-3 ft off the ground.

Don_P

Notch it in, never hang on the bolts. One reason to keep post spacing less than 8' is to weave or capture more posts on each board but a single 2x12 works in this application... 4' x 9' x50psf=1800lbs on the beam and an equal amount on the ledger at the cabin. If it's pier and beam you just added load to that girder, don't forget to check it.