Gusset Plates

Started by flametamer, September 05, 2007, 01:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flametamer

I have playing around with the idea of making my own floor trusses. Can someone building on their own build their own trusses? Where can you find the gusset plates? What would be longest span that can be spaned? I know that these can be readily purchased through a factory but why pay someone else to do something if you are able and willing to do it yourself.

MountainDon

The first question is whether or not there is a building department, building permits, inspections, etc. involved.

If so, then the question of building your own trusses is probably not relevant. The building department would only allow you to build your own if you had a certified engineers plan and specifications to follow. While that's possible, it's likely going to cost a bundle to get an engineer to draw it up.

If there's no building department involvement, no approvals needed then it could be possible to build yer own.

If by "gusset plates" you mean those shiny galvanized perforated looking plates that are used by the commercial roof and floor truss manufacturers there's a problem. These plates are rolled or pressed into the wood under thousands of pounds of pressure. There's no practical way to hammer them into place. The "mending plates" available at any lumber supplier can not be used as a substitute for building your own.

All that said, I built some roof trusses for a garage/shop a number of years ago using 2x4 lumber and 1/2 inch plywood plates I cut myself. Each joint was plated each side. The plywood plates were glued with waterproof glue and hand nailed to compress the glue joint properly. Air nailer won't squeeze the pieces together well enough. No building dept though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Don's right -- trusses are an engineered thing.  Even seemingly simple roof trusses require engineering reports if inspected.  

Still there are tons of old buildings with field built trusses still  in good shape but it depends on what you are up against.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

flametamer

I ask because I can remember back so time ago using plywood as gusset plates on the roof systems. We do have a building inspector and I have talked to him of different occations. I know they are behind in times because they are still using the 2003 codes.
Thanks for the information.