28x16 in southern illinois

Started by shallyman, September 27, 2010, 03:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shallyman

Hi all.  I posted about a year ago with plans to build a small 12x18 but since then my plans have changed.  My old user name was lshallenb but I was unable to retrieve my old password, hence the new username.  I am now building a 28x16 using modified little house plans.  I finally have some pics of my progress as well.  The foundation consists of 6-8" poured piers per side with poured 24" wide footers beneath.  The footing and piers are all tied together with rebar.  Frost depth is 2 ft and the footing are about 6" deeper than that.  Soil is hard clay but also ran into some very large boulders.  The area is coverered with huge boulders and rock cliffs.  My beams are built up pt 6x10s spaced 12 feet apart.  The beams are 32 feet long as opposed to 28.  I want to put a small, covered, front porch on the remaining 4 feet.  Im using 2x10s at 16"oc for the main floor joist and pt 2x8s for the front porch joists.  
  My joists are cantilevered out 2 ft on each side.  Looking at the Cantilever span table that john has posted on this site I would be ok with 29" cantilevers for a light framed one story house using # 2 grade yellow pine.  My snow loads here are less than 20psf.  I however am planning on putting two 8 ft lofts at each end of the house and my joists are #1 grade yellow pine.  I do not want my joists to shear off obviously, so any comments or opinions about this size cantilever with these conditions would be appreciated.  I have considered putting in some extra joists and considered just decreasing the width of the house to 14 or 15 feet wide.

ED: adjusted link to show image directly - MD

MountainDon

2 things: 

Adding a porch on the end. If I understand your concept correctly the main beams are longer and will protrude from under the cabin end wall. For the porch you plan on 2x8 joists to lower the porch deck/floor (good thing). However there is a danger of water draining down through the porch floor, unless this is not only a covered porch but a weather proof enclosed porch. Water on the beam can then migrate under the main cabin and there is potential for future rot problems.

If this is something that is pretty well committed to now, installing flashing on top of the beams "may" help with water issues. Not a guaranteed solution.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

ooops, the other thing I forgot...  d*

The cantilever. A two foot cantilever, along with two lofts, "might" be asking a bit much. There are potential dangers in scaling up small plans to larger sizes.   Hopefully John will check in on this, or someone else with expertise to add.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

General note on member accounts. There is a "secret question" section that may be optionally filled in. Located under the user profile, look under "account related settings" This may help in retrieving lost passwords. It is also dependent upon having access to the same email address as was used in registering for an account.

shallyman

thanks for replying MD.  i have not yet placed the porch joists.  thats part of the plan for this weekend and hopefully getting the bridging finished and subfloor layed.  Ill take your advice and put some copper flashing over the beam and maybe close the porch in down the road.  what do you think about doubling up every other joist under the lofts?  btw, i didnt use the secret question because i thought "theres no way i will forget this password".   d*

MountainDon

Quote from: shallyman on September 27, 2010, 09:43:33 PM
"theres no way i will forget this password".   d*
;D  been there done that. too many times.....   >:(

I now use a program to track them. Depending on your browser and whether or not you have the browser track passwords there are retrieval programs as well.

It can't hurt to add extra joists under the loft ends. It complicates insulating slightly, but may be peace of mind insurance.

shallyman

Finally got the house framed.  Me and a buddy spent 10 days framing and sheathing and got "almost" all of it done.  Im sure it would have gone faster with a pneumatic nailer, but hammering is good for the forearms.  MD, I went ahead and doubled up the joists under the lofts because of the 2 foot cantilever to give me some piece of mind.  Had a great time working out in the woods but was awfully tired by the end of it.  still have half the roof to sheath and roll some underlayment on.  Sheathing on a 12:12 roof is not much fun.  Anyone have some good solutions besides roof jacks and safety harness?  I'm thinking Ill rent a telahandler or some sort of lift to install the metal roofing when I get around to that.  Anyways, planning on finishing the sheathing, roll roofing, and tyveking next week. Then taking a break for the winter.

Working on the roof
https://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz260/shallyman/little%20house%20pictures/maineandotherpictures361.jpg

My cheap help and rough sawn cedar loft joists.  I splurged on them.
https://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz260/shallyman/little%20house%20pictures/maineandotherpictures367.jpg

Rafters done, barge rafters done, end walls framed.
https://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz260/shallyman/little%20house%20pictures/maineandotherpictures381.jpg

ajbremer

Hi Shallyman,

I'm doing a 16 x 28 (revised little house plans) also. I wish you had more pics up in here, I could learn a lot from them. I hope we see you again here soon. Thanks...al
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

shallyman

I have been slowly but surely getting some work done on the cabin this summer.  Board and batton siding almost completed, interior framed.  Plumbing the rest of this month and putting in the electrical at the end of this month.  It has been a lot of work doing the siding by myself, frustrating at times as well but I am pretty happy with the results.

shallyman

shallyman

EDIT: inserted the [img] tags to make photos show in message - MD
shallyman, use the modify tab that should be visible at the top right of the message and you can see what I added. In photobucket select the 4th link down. That is the one that includes the {img} tags

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

shallyman

thanks sassy, i will get some more pictures up when i have progressed some more.