Ridge beam and rafters

Started by rakuz66, June 30, 2008, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakuz66

Here's my thoughts on the sagging plywood in between the rafters.  When I put on my metal roof, I will be running true 1x4's every 16 across the roof as nailers.  So, I figured the sagging plywood wouldn't be much of an issue????? since the metal roof will sit on these 1x4's every 16 in.

PEG688

Oh ya Mister Overkill x 10 now  I remember you :)

I really think the sistered 2x8's and the way your going to skip sheath the roof is the best option.

Sure the 2x8's are a bit over spanned , BUT you have the orginal 2x4 rafters in the mix as well.

G/L PEG   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

rakuz66

skip sheath??? does that mean use 1x4 nailers like I mentioned???
Ok, heres an easy one Peg, I promise.  What is the strongest type of stock lumber I should use for my beam under the rafters??   Doug Fir???

John_C

Doug Fir & Southern Yellow Pine are two of the strongest commonly available woods.

PEG688

Quote from: rakuz66 on July 01, 2008, 09:12:33 AM

#1: skip sheath???

#2: does that mean use 1x4 nailers like I mentioned???

#3: Ok, heres an easy one Peg, I promise.  What is the strongest type of stock lumber I should use for my beam under the rafters??   Doug Fir???

#1: Skip sheathing, commonly used under Shakes and shingles on roofs , generally spaced about 2 1/2" apart , sometime 1x6 , sometimes 1x4.

#2: You'll space your under metal roofing about 24 " OC I think.

#3: Like John said Doug Fir , and or Yellow Pine , Around here Doug Fir would be the readily available lumber, Back in NY state , thats where your at IIRC , Spruce would be a good third choice. Your looking for a good strength to weight ratio where as well. There are strong lumber out there , but one that is very heavy would not be a "better " idea.         
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .