I spent the day at Colonial Williamsburg

Started by peternap, November 28, 2007, 07:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I made my obligatory stop at the gunsmiths shop to say hello and then started looking at the buildings with hinged windows and shutters.

I spent the rest of the day at the blacksmiths shop learning how they forged the window hardware.
I'll never get over how well the old ways work. All the hardware is simple but holds unbelievably well.

They helped me work out the latching problem I was having with the loft windows that swing UP. Again a simple solution. They just forge a plate for the window with a keyhole in it and a rod with a ball on the end. The rod connects to the ceiling. When I swing the window up the ball goes in the large portion of the keyhole and the natural swing of the window, slides it into the narrow portion.

I think I'll fire up the forge tomorrow. I have 10 of them to make.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Now I guess its time for me to build another forge too.  I worked one at a blacksmith shop for about 6 months -- made one for myself later.  Don't see much coal or coke around these parts though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

You can always use charcoal. It sparks like the 4th of July but gets plenty hot.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

We have plenty of oak.  That would work I guess. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.