More school nonsense

Started by peternap, December 05, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/285396/8/School-locked-down-over-thermometer

Boca Ciega, Florida -- A chemistry project caused a big problem at Pinellas' Seminole High School Tuesday morning.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says students were given an assignment to bring in a substance from the Periodic Table of Elements.

One student brought in mercury -- contained within a thermometer -- and the school went into lockdown.

Deputies say the thermometer was discovered as the substances were checked before going through the school.

No one was put in harm's way, but a hazmat crew was there as a precaution.

Pinellas County Schools tell 10 News the students were told not to bring certain toxic elements from the periodic table, mercury included.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

OK.. I am with you on this one.  What a bunch of bunk. 

My daughter's physics class had a Rube Goldberg assignment as an extra credit project.  The teacher told kids that they needed a couple of energy conversion portions of the machine, and that flames were welcome  ;D

Here is an extreme example of how times have changed : A friend of mine who is 15 years older than I am says that he remembers bringing his .22 rifle to school for show and tell in the 5th grade.  He brought it on the bus to take to school.  No disciplinary action was even thought of.  His "secret Santa" gave him a box of bullets for a Christmas present in school that year as well. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Woodsrule

Shooter, I can remember bringing my new Buck knife to middle school to show it off. I'd got it as a birthday present, and even the teacher admired it! These days, a kid would be on the 6 o'clock news for bringing in a Buck weapon of mass destruction.  ;D