Using green wood with metal brackets?

Started by littledog, May 22, 2007, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littledog

I know that many timberframers prefer to frame with green wood.  I was wondering does anyone know whether or not using green wood with the metal simpson (sampson?) brackets creates any serious structural problems?  If not I thought about using wood from my site in the exposed beam ceiling.  Thanks.  

John Raabe

I would suggest doing your framing with wood you've let dry. I know folks who have used green or wet 2x6 decking and had it open up cracks in the joints big enough for the kids to drop a dime down on folks sitting at the table below. :D

I don't think there would be any special problems with the Simpson galvanized hardware as long as the framing doesn't remain wet for long. More of a concern would the shrinking and twisting that may happen as it dries out.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I find that most green softwood shrinks about 5/8 to 3/4 inch per foot of width as it dries.  I use the wood green from my sawmill in many places and have to keep that in mind.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Furniture makers sometimes use the difference between green and dry wood to ensure that their chairs stay solidly together.   I can never remember which way they go--seems like it's a bit counterintuitive.

Not much difference in length wet and dry, but, yes, a lot in width.

And building a log cabin (even a vertical one) out of mixed sizes and kinds of wood may mean redoing the chinking a couple of times.