The Kings Forest

Started by OlJarhead, September 05, 2010, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yonderosa

My Brother-in-Law took another Bonaparte Bear last weekend.  Right on his front porch...  :-\  The bear had been raiding the neighbors bird feeders, recycling and even their vehicles.  He was trying to make his way into the cabin, probably to raid the frig, before my BIL put an end to his thieving ways. 

FWIW, his 30-30 performed well with factory Remington 170 grain ammo, even with a less than ideal shot - straight on, inside of 50 feet - traveled all the way back to the ham and the bear expired promptly.

I'm hoping to get over there soon and do a little looking around myself.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on September 17, 2010, 10:04:12 AM
My Brother-in-Law took another Bonaparte Bear last weekend.  Right on his front porch...  :-\  The bear had been raiding the neighbors bird feeders, recycling and even their vehicles.  He was trying to make his way into the cabin, probably to raid the frig, before my BIL put an end to his thieving ways. 

FWIW, his 30-30 performed well with factory Remington 170 grain ammo, even with a less than ideal shot - straight on, inside of 50 feet - traveled all the way back to the ham and the bear expired promptly.

I'm hoping to get over there soon and do a little looking around myself.

30-30 was the most popular hunting round in North America at one time.  Sure it's down on power from the 30-06 (the new king) and .308 but 170 grains traveling 2000+ fps at close range is more then enough in most cases south of the Canadian border.  Above that line the bears get much bigger......

But ya, I have one of those puppies :)  Canadian Centennial and love it!

OlJarhead

Here ya go :)

.454 Casul Puma 92
.45 Colt Ruger Vaquero
30-30 Winchester (Model 94?) Canadian Centennial