thermal bridging--would sill sealer gasket help?

Started by MikeT, December 29, 2007, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Season' greetings folks.  I was looking at some of the necessary framing I was doing yesterday  (and feeling like I have a lot of wood in the walls) and wondering how best to mitigate the effects of thermal bridging.  I know I can always add sheets of 4x8 sheets of polystyrene under the sheetrock, but I was wondering about a middle ground between that and nothing.  Would  stapling strips of sill sealer along the face/edge of all the framing lumber do anything appreciable?  I was thinking that I could use batts insulation between the studs but then I could possibly benefit by using this sill sealer on the studs and plates.

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/lowes/products/sillseal.htm

Thoughts?

mt

FrankInWIS

I hope you get some solid responses.  Great question... I am at the same point.  I have less of a problem with the walls cause I already sheeted them outside with 1" DOW, but my cieling joists bridge the outside with the inside, and the cavity depth isn't as great as I'd like either. 
I AM thinking of insul sheeting under the drywall (and begrude loosing any more off the height of the ceiling), and am also considering the expensive spray foam insulation, maybe diy.  If you're idea would be very effective, I just might go back to rolled vats of insul, and then you're idea.
Something tells me we won't be that lucky though.... I imagine we need something of some appreciable R value there, not just a mini stop. 
Hoping for much feedback!

glenn kangiser

I pretty much doubt that the difference would be worth the effort.  It will compress under the wall material and make very little difference IMHO.

Note that this is just my opinion - others may see it differently.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Sill sealer is for filling any gaps between sill and floor to prevent/reduce air infiltration. Period.

When compressed it would have no discernible insulating effect. Even when not compressed, there'd be nothing you could measure. Stopping air circulation within the wall cavity, at electrical outlets and other perforations would pay back much more in energy savings.

One inch of foam like Frank did on the exterior is good as a thermal break. That could be done on the inside as well, under drywall or whatever, but not the two together.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.