Steel Bracket for Wood/Metal Awning

Started by stricsm, June 25, 2013, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stricsm

I'm building a couple of door awnings out of 2X4's and metal roofing material.  I plan to build awning brackets out of wood in my shop at home and install them individually, then attach purlins or tongue and groove porch ceiling material, then tar paper and metal roofing.  I need to attach to studs in one location and would like to use a metal bracket near the top of each wooden awning bracket.  The way the wooden awning brackets are designed, I can't lag bolt thru the 2X4 without using a metal bracket.  I found some Simpson architectural brackets that would work but they cost >$20 a piece and I'm cheap.  Like these:  http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HL_APG.asp 

Each awning will be 48"W and 30" deep (overhang) with a 6/12 pitch, no snow load. 

Any suggestions?  I'm sure Simpson makes something cheaper, I haven't been able to locate it yet.

rick91351

If you have any metal shops close by you might see if you can take the Simpson data to them and see what it is going to run you.   I have a couple shops in the valley I have used for stuff not available.  But it can run into $$$ real quick.    My guess you are not going to save a lot if any.  However that said do they have to be built that stout?  Most of the places I have used in the past are very good at coming up with ideas that work as well or better than I walk in the door with! :D 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

stricsm

Thanks.  I think I found some lighter Simpson angle brackets that will work in pairs to achieve what I want.  I can paint them black so they don't look so bad.