Deconstructing old house for parts / lumber

Started by cbc58, July 24, 2012, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

I have recently come across an old home (1880's) that I can buy for $1, if I remove it from it's current site.  It is not really movable for various reasons and deconstructing seems to be the only option.  There is probably about 65-70% usable structure and it has nice pine floors, doors, trim, etc.   2,000 s.f all on one level.  I know there will be costs involved but I wonder if anyone has ever done this and found it to be worth it... or a big hassle.   In the end I figure there will be about 8-10k worth of "good stuff" (stuff you really can't buy these days), plus the knowledge of saving an old home.

Going to take probably 350 man hours to take it apart and they will give me 6 months to dismantle. 

Anyone ever done this or looked into it?

firefox

Remember to calculate the cost of removing and dumping the stuff you can't use.
Are you expected to break up and remove the foundation?
Just some things to think of.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

cbc58

yeah, I have to remove the foundation - everything.  There are 3 chimneys - tons of bricks (literally), and a bunch of rotten wood.  Some wood has lead paint which means a special disposal center.  I know all that going in and I can go buy most everything that I will recover from the project - but not all at once or of the same age/quality.   Will have to rent a machine for a day or so near the end.  I do like the place though and the idea of rebuilding it somewhere with new systems but an old-time feel.   Was curious if anyone had done this before because once I commit it is mine.  Looks better in the picture than in person... picket fence is included...

Here's the house:   

CjAl

beyond lead paint you are likely looking at asbestos also

Don_P

and unknown DDT's, Chloridane, Arsenic, rat poison, bird, snake and rat poop and more dust and dirt than you can shake a stick at. Then look at the wood itself, is it riddled with powderpost beetle holes? Burn it if it is.

I've been involved in a few and have bought one. It is not cheap wood when it's all done and said, you will get slashed or gigged at some point and it is hard, nasty work. I'd rather walk into the woods and whittle out boards from there.

Shame to lose those, it has nice lines.

Erin

You can almost bet that the lumber you get from a house is going to be very difficult to reuse simply because everything is so short already. 
A barn is another story.  You have long expanses of lumber (or timbers, if you get lucky) with no breaks for doors, windows, etc.  There's also no insulation to pull, no plaster to deal with, no wires, plumbing, etc, etc, etc.   Not to mention you probably wouldn't want to reuse the windows, even if you could...  The interior doors would probably be nice, though.

Personally, I would never deconstruct a house.  A barn, on the other hand, would be worth doing.

Have you considered just having the house moved?  It looks like it's in great shape and worth saving!  I'd venture to guess it'd be $20K or less to move it...
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1