Schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit question(s)

Started by MikeT, September 15, 2008, 02:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I am trying to get my conduit into a 36" trench for my permanent electricity.  It has to make a 90 degree turn which is not a big deal, but then the in order to get to my pedestal it has to make two 45 degree turns (one way then another) that are relatively close together (like 3 feet).

So my question is: will the service wire that they PUD will install have trouble with those 45s?  I have a 1/4 inch rope already fished through to assist the running of the wire.

I would prefer to not have to ask the PUD because they might balk and then I will need to redo some stuff.  But if the wire goes through without a problem, then they would have no real reason to balk.

This is 3" conduit and I will be have a 200 A service wire to the house.

I appreciate your thoughts.

mt

OldDog

If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

TheWire

I take it your using sweep 90s and 45s and not pipe fittings?  Also, you may want to have the utility or yourself put some pulling lube on the cable and conduit.

Jerry

MikeT

Jerry,

Yes, I am using long sweep 90s and 45s along with 10 and 20 foot sections that have the bell street connections.  Other connections are made using the couplings.  All are glued with purple primer and pvc cement.

I asked an electrician whom I know today about the service wire and the conduit.  He didn't think it would be a problem.

My neighbor down the street had some left over service wire, so I will try and run that through on a line and see how it goes. 

mt

glenn kangiser

24. An underground rigid nonmetallic conduit raceway system consists of ten 10-foot lengths of conduit between two pulling points. What is the maximum number of bends that this run may have?
a. four 90-degree bends

2005 NEC
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.