any one used transluscent roof panels or any leakproof skylights?

Started by mountaingal, March 20, 2010, 01:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaingal

Wondering if any of ya'll have utilized clear roof paneling for natural light in metal/tin roofing for a residential home?  Is this difficult to do?  I've seen it used in industrial applications.  Or has anyone utilized any skylights that have thus far proven leak proof?  I have heard that skylights frequently have leak problems, thus I've been looking into the roof panels. 

Any resources/companies you can direct me to for the panels or leak-proof skylights?

Thanks.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Onkeludo2

Skylights get a bad rap because of three things:

Unrealistic expectations
Poor installation
Low quality skylights used...especially in the 70's

Unrealistic expectations:  Skylights can cause issues if they are poorly placed and this is compounded by the other two issues.  In a cold climate, especially where there is a relatively high indoor humidity and a skylight is at the top of a tall narrow well, condensation can cause a problem and most people think it is a leak.  Warm, moist air rises into that well which was probably improperly insulated, hits a low quality skylight that is considerably colder than the rest of the room and you suddenly have condensation travelling down to the lowest point of the window.  Since this skylight is in a well, the lowest point is most likely plain 1/2" drywall and it get moist, swells, passes the moisture on the fiberglass insulation which loses much of its insulating ability...now that area of the roof deck is probably getting a straight shot of warm moist air so it is condensing water, etc, etc.

Poor installation:  There are minimum slopes required, framing considerations and the real kicker, flashing systems, that all come into play on the outside.  On this inside, I described that deep well...it is just inviting problems especially since the nimrod installing the window likely will not think about a moisture barrier around the well.  The flashing issue is usually the most egregious area of improper installation.  The better skylights have a multi-piece flashing system that keeps water out if installed correctly but it takes a lot of time and some minor roof destruction to do right.

Low quality skylights:  This not something to cheap out on.  A skylight needs to be the most energy efficient window in your house by the longest margin possible.  If it becomes a source of condensation, you are hosed.  Keep in mind humidity is always listed as relative humidity for a reason.  50% relative humidity at an indoor air temp of 70F hits its dew point at (give or take) 50F...guess what happens if that is temp of the inner surface of your skylight at night.

So, a well installed, high quality skylight not set too deep into a well, on an appropriately pitched roof should give you years of trouble-free service.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

considerations

"So, a well installed, high quality skylight not set too deep into a well, on an appropriately pitched roof should give you years of trouble-free service."

I like mine, the roof is 12/12 the ceiling is cathedral style and so far, no trouble/leaks.  There is some fancy flashing on the roof around them, which includes a cricket "/\" on top of them to divert water past the sides of the skylight, this is on top of the "normal" flashing that is constructed for a skylight.

MikeT

My Velux windows have been in for two winters/rainy seasons so far, and I am very pleased.  The flashing is the key.  Needs to be done right.  Of course that is true of any skylight. 

John has plans for homemade skylights, I believe.  I decided I didn't trust myself.

mt

mountaingal

Everyone, thanks much for all your input.  Glad to be starting off on the right foot   c*

Southern Steve

I have a Velux "roof window"  Crank out version, that has been in place for 18 years.   Not a drop of a leak in all that time.   Wish I could say the same for the original roof.  HA.

eddiescabin

Im with Southern Steve, we have 16 velux  VSE- opening(I think 2' X 5') on a very steep roof in Lake Tahoe, have been up for 6 years...never a leak in any...this is high elevation/ heavy snow region.  It is not hard core freezing all winter like some locations tho.