How do I choose an Engineer?

Started by cedarglen, September 02, 2005, 05:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

We are going to build the 20x34 2 story. Our county in CA requires an engineer to do snow load calculations and possible erosion control/retaining walls.

I can build a house, but have never been in a situation where I have to meet criteria for permits. My question is how do I choose an engineer? How do they bill? By the hour or by the job? Do I just show a few my plans and get prices?

I am worried about getting screwed since I am building in a small mountain community where they typically like to stick it to the "flatlander". I don't know anybody in the area.

glenn-k

What county are you in, Cedarglen ???

Most I know of bill by the hour but you can't tell how many hours you will get billed for -.  They should give you an estimate.

Prices vary greatly as does quality and abilities of the engineer.  Some are good -some are bad -some are very bad.  I would try to get some ref's from local contractors.  The building department may give you a list of names but usually won't recommend one in particular.  Try offering the gal behind the counter a jelly donut-- It worked in "Strange Brew".   ;D  On second thought that may not be a good idea- but sometimes if you talk to them a bit they may give you a hint.  Possibly real estate agents could help with this one also.

Amanda_931

You could always run into another immigrant from the flatlands.

Which might or might not be good.

cedarglen

We are rebuilding our house lost in the October 2003 wild fires in Cedar Glen (Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino county CA).

jraabe

If you have a good local builder you will be working with (one of your greatest resources) they most likely have a pretty good idea who is practical and who is not.

One engineer I worked with was fresh from Boeing and charged $1000 for the engineering. The work he required added about $2000 to the building cost.

The next engineer charged $300 for the same level of engineering complexity and the added building costs where under $1000.

That's is the one I use now... ;)