Victorias Cottage Code Stair

Started by PFunk_Spock, October 29, 2009, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFunk_Spock

Any ideas on how I can implement a code stair in the Victorias Cottage with a minimal sacrifice of space? I was thinking that I could have an L shaped stair leading down from the back entrance by the kitchen, but Im afraid unless my basement has 10 foot ceilings it wont meet code.

My better half and I would ideally have a full walkout basement that we would use as a seperate apartment before we have kids to help generate a little income. Then once the family blossoms we would turn it into a second bedroom, family room, and small kitchenette / game area for entertaining.

We would like to keep the loft above "loft like" and would be using the cottage stair or a ladder to access that space.

Any ideas? I would really like to keep the great room as large as possible, but Im afraid it might not be meant to be.

MountainDon

I'm confused why you think a code stair down to a basement would necessitate a 10 foot ceiling? A code stair with a small one step L can be fitted into a "box" 15 ft long (including top and bottom landing of three feet) with an 8 ft ceiling height, using risers no greater than 7.75". The headroom above any stair tread would also be kept to no less than the 6'8" code minimum. Maybe I'm missing some detail? ???

I'm also a little unclear as to where you would place the upper end of this staircase when you state, "stair leading down from the back entrance by the kitchen". There doesn't seem to be room. ??? Or do you mean add the stairs with access rom the exterior?

For the reader's here's the standard VC floor plan (main floor)...

The staircase shown goes up to the loft and does not meet current code. Which brings another question to my mind... why worry about code for the basement and not for the loft? Sorry if I ask too many questions.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PFunk_Spock

I was hoping to have the door to the stairs lead from the mechanical area across from the washer/dryer down to the basement via an L shaped stair. Not sure that I have enough space to do that with a 7.75 inch step height and 10 inches or so tread depth. With an 8 foot basement I would need 12 steps approximately, more like 13. Where the stairs turn would leave less than 6'8" headroom if my math is correct. I suppose I could move the back entrance all the way to the right (when looking at the plans) in place of the stove but that would make for a rather awkward kitchen.

We would go with the spiral staircase but really just dont like them. I hate how they look and perform during daily usage, and we really want the ladder or cottage stair up to the loft for aesthetic reasons.

I dont want to worry about the code stair to the loft as it will be under 200 square feet and therefor wouldnt need a code stair. We want that ladder type loft feel, as at most it will be a nice little nook to read, but more than likely just storage and a neat architectural element.