20x34 cabin

Started by locomoe, June 15, 2016, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locomoe

Has anyone added few extra feet to the 20x34 to add a master bedroom?  ???We are buying this plan and want to either add out or forward.....suggestions would be great since we want to have an "open area" for loft! ???

NathanS

You would want to add to the length (make 34 longer) rather than make the building wider. Wider would make all the spans more complicated.

If you want a loft area you will need a ridge beam to bear the load of the roof. Or the loft area will still need joists to keep the roof from pushing the walls outward.

azgreg

It's my understanding that the 20X34 Universal, 20X30 Cottage, and the 20X30 1 1/2 story can all be lengthened easily. Width is another matter entirely.

Don_P

Yes but... a wider building has more loft room if that is in the roof. Stairs also become easier to fit into the building. I think we tend to get stuck in that mentality that it is too hard to go wider. In the early stages explore it all.

ChugiakTinkerer

For a cathedral ceiling, scissor trusses may also be an option over a ridge beam.  I'm looking at both for my build, which will be 16x28 1.5 story.  That might make going wider a little easier.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story