A frame

Started by fcpnorman, January 23, 2015, 12:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcpnorman

I am looking at building a cabin in the future and I am in the planning stages now. We are looking at the 20x30 1.5 story and a full A-Frame. I have read a lot of the comments on A-Frames on this site and followed some of the builds. I am planning on doing most of the build myself( no GC) and I am looking to save at every corner. I really like both styles of cabins- but for some reason- the A-Frame really resonates with me. I am looking for any thoughts on the building process. It would seem that the A-Frame would go up faster and could be dried in sooner , and is overall a simpler build. Is my thinking correct?
A second question- we may build this off the grid. It seems a bit daunting at this point, especially adding the required fire sprinkler system. I am feeling like I almost need to build a separate building just to house all the mechanical items- well, pump, batteries, fire pump holding tank, etc.
Those of you who have made the jump to build the cabin off the grid- once you cleared the hurdle of being hooked to the grid- was it easy?

Thanks.

Sean

rick91351

Well if no one is going to jump in I guess I will....  With some observations and ideas.

If you are looking a saving at every corner as you say then I would do on grid and close to a road.  I would make sure the road to the driveway is plowed by a highway department in the winter time.  (If you have hopes of winter use.) Off grid is expensive if you are looking at cutting corners as you say.  I would be looking for somewhere that does not require fire suppression or sprinklers.  (Unless you want them of course.)  I also go in record that I am not anti fire safety.  I would look for a property that is already established yet maybe distressed - used, lost, left or _____.   The double or single wide property with the electric and well already there but the aforementioned dwelling gone.       

If you do not hire a GC then you are the GC.  You have to budget and assign.  Some people can some can't.  As the GC do not assume your DIY is always cheaper in the long run or even in the short run.  Your mistakes and under bidding your own job costs big bucks, heartaches and disappointments which causes your interest to wane greatly.  Another factor to factor in .....  After about somewhere between the first day and the end of the second week it dawns on you that this is a lot more work and not as much fun and self rewarding as you promised yourself it would be looking at all those building projects going on on the internet......   

For quick to get dried in I would do conventional framed house with engineered trusses that allow a bonus room or loft. (We opted out on bonus trusses)  Why because I know how to frame and build one.  You can read a few chapters in most any Building 101 book and get the general run down on framing.  Never looked for A Frames 101.  So no learning curve.  Cost cutting corners I am always looking for local talent.  I.E.  I hired a local with a logging truck self loader to swing my trusses.  (No high dollar crane.)  We also used it to lift the heavy LVLs into place as well as lift the heavy walls with it into place.  This house /cabin was engineered and had lot of 4x6 timbers and crazy big LVLs doubled in to beams.  I hired the local pastor to help frame or I helped him or we sort 'a.  My house build is pretty well documented on here.  Rick and Ellen's Homestead....

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12965.0

As far as sweat equity or return for our being the GC and providing a lot of labor on this build.   Good GCs do not just drive around in a 4X4 with the coffee crew and a job dog in the back  We have been well pleased and when this came back from the insurance underwriters investment wise to our costing we are finding a nice 30% return on our sweat equity.  But I did a lot of bargain basement deals at the lumber yard I always use.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

fcpnorman

Thanks for the reply. I live in an older home that was(is) a fixer. I have done most of everything here and only subbed out some electrical and some help on framing. I should have also stated, that I do own some land in a mountain location that is off the grid. It is in California- and they require fire sprinklers in all new construction. We are also looking for a fixer- but our land is really nice. There are many other cabins/homes around the property that are off the grid- it just seems a little daunting. I do like the 20x30 1.5 story for its simple design and use of space.

We will see what happens..