Whatever happened to A-frames?

Started by AdironDoc, September 07, 2010, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

While looking for online plans, I noticed only one or two A-frames among what must be a thousand others. Did they fall out of favor because the style became dated or are there major drawbacks to this design? It would seem that the A-frame, in theory, would be the easiest and fastest way to put up a home. Just tip some extra long timbers together and viola, you build a roof, you've built your house. Less lumber, less manpower. After all, there are no exterior walls, right?  ;D

Doc

glenn kangiser

I think dated and really rather impractical - always dealing with slanted walls.  Some like them though.  Search this site for old discussion on them.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=search
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jeff922

I read part of a book on A frames.  Buckminster Fuller popularized the idea as a cheap easy DIY house or cottage.  There are a few different reasons why they became popular and then fell out of favor.  I believe they were popular in the 50s and 60s primarily.  A lot of new england ski resort areas are dotted with these old A frames because the people who had money to go skiing on weekends lived primarily in urban centers.  The A Frame, sometimes in kit form, was a way for families to slap togeter a structure during a summer and have a place to stay.  Many were on leased land.  They were really somewhat temporary structures (although they didn't have to be).  Many were on piers or blocks. And they were often not restricted with codes (electric/plumbing/septic) which kept the cost down. Many from that era have an outhouse.  As the cost of property went up and the permit process became more complicated, people were forced to build more traditional structures.  Part of the appeal was that the emerging leisure class in post-war America could actually afford them.  Over time the time-share condo became a more appealing and affordable vacation home for this burgeoning middle class.  I love them, they are a quickly fading piece of Americana.  I remember A Frames in the Killington area of VT years ago.  There is almost no trace of them now due to development pressure.  The village of Carrabassett Valley Maine has hundreds of them still standing - it's like the worlds greatest A Frame museum!  Check it out if you're up this way. :D
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"