pier and beam foundation for RV type carport?

Started by tesa, January 19, 2009, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

just had a thought, having a hard time finding 18' posts in stock for the shed/carport type thingy

was told i'd have to go with 20'ers and cut them, or just build higher

so, i was thinking, could i pour the piers, and attach the posts to that, keeping me from buying
20' posts at 77 bucks a pop (they can get them, special order) and purchasing posts of a more
affordable size (the 16'ers were 40 each, i haven't even priced shorter ones, since we, until
now, haven't thought about this)

would the savings just be eaten up by having to buy concrete?

just a thought

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

harry51

IIRC, the original plan was to use ground contact rated pressure treated posts buried in the ground with gravel around and under them for drainage. If those are available for $77 each, it would likely be much cheaper to proceed that way than to form and pour footers and buy column bases to connect the posts to the concrete.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

tesa

that's what i was thinkin', but ya never know

it was worth a shot

a penny saved and all

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

river place

I agree with using the full length timber in the ground.  It seems the easiest approach and a lot more do it yourself friendly.

FYI - our pole barn has treated lumber in the ground.  We did have them use one 80lb bag of concrete at each pole but gravel will be just fine.  Make sure the wood treatment is rated for in ground use.  Real building supplies should have the right stuff or be able to get it for you.