Onsite Disposal summary report

Started by Daddymem, February 14, 2007, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddymem

In my research for my current project in Pakistan I ran across this document and thought some at CP may benefit...heck it is just a good read even if you aren't putting a septic system in (well, to engineer weirdos at least).

REVIEW OF TECHNOLOGIES FOR THE ONSITE TREATMENT OF WASTEWATER IN CALIFORNIA
Prepared for the California State Water Resources Control Board August, 2002

The site is a bit slow so be patient.  They cover everything from composting to advanced treatment systems, some with prices even (they seem a bit low, even accounting for a couple of years inflation)

From this I somehow ended up to Liquid Gold where Urine Charge...interesting ideas there.  

And Liquid Gold leads to Ecowaters I notice there are some MA projects I may check out sometime.

The urine separating toilets are an interesting concept.  If regulations are based on Nitrogen limits and you don't discharge urine because you reuse it in container gardens...can those limitations be used against you still?  Compost your solid waste and use your greywater for irrigation and you've got 100% use of your wastewater.  I bet they'd find somehow to prevent this... :-/

glenn-k

QuoteIf regulations are based on Nitrogen limits and you don't discharge urine because you reuse it in container gardens...can those limitations be used against you still?

I'm not going to bust my bladder finding out.

How about the signs - Dumping hazardous waste in this toilet is a federal offense?  in outhouses on construction sites.  Exactly what am I doing?  Is doing a number 2 against the law?  You can't put it in the city drinking water, therefore I believe it is hazardous waste.  I hope I'm committing a crime every time I use one of them.  Seems the very thing the unit is meant for is outlawed. :)

phalynx

Often I have wondered, what is different from my "stuff" and a dog's? or a cat's?  or a cow's?  etc...  why are THEY allowed to poop outside and humans aren't?  Heck, they can poop in a water well  and it's ok..  I don't get it.  Why are WE so bad?

Amanda_931

Because we can get typhoid or cholera or some of the nasty e. coli that affect humans but not cows or dogs from other humans, not cows or dogs.