Let in Ledger - 20x30 1 1/2

Started by Micky, November 28, 2005, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky

I was looking through some of the other cabins in the gallary and thinking about the snow coming down.

When I framed our cabin I made a woops when cutting the let-in for the ledger board.  I made my cut 5.5" too high in a few places (yea, measure twice, cut once).

Here is what I am thinking:  The 2x6 studs are 16 O.C.  2x4 stus are OK at 16" O.C.  So, it is like I have a 2x4 wall in that place?  Full 2x6 studs are supporting most of the the loft joists because the woops was above the ledger.

Then I was looking at other cabins in the gallary.  I noticed Mike has some strapping over the ledger.  This sounds like a good idea.

I am thinking that my woops really isn't critical.  But, to make me feel better, I was going to cut some 2x6 pieces to glue and screw in the areas I removed.  Then install the strapping over the whole mess.

Am I:
a. on the right track
b. over reacting
c. going to get crush under a collapsing cabin
d. something I didn't even think about.

I have the cabin mostly completed on the outside now.  My next step is to finish plumbing/elec, insulate and sheet rock.  So, now is the time.

Thanks for your input.

jraabe

I think you are in pretty good shape with this as you show it. A 2x6 with a 2" cut out of it still has sufficient bearing area to carry its intended load. Certainly where the stud and the joist overlap as it does several places in the photo you only need to spike the two together and no additional support is needed.

You might have some places where some heavy unsupported load is carried by a notched stud or two and then you could certainly sister on a reinforcing piece as you suggest. There may also be places where this is needed for a nailer as much as for structural support.

The strapping in the 2nd photo is a good idea in heavy wind and earthquake areas as it adds lateral and uplift bracing.

Mike(Guest)

Hey Mickey....

Love the look of your ceiling.....what size beams are those??

Are they 2x nailed together or just solid timber?  Timber species?

Also what is the spacing?

Thanks!!

Mike ;)

Micky

Mike,

The beams are 4X12 rough sawn from a local mill.  They are Douglas Fir.  The mill even stamped them with Select Struc.  I have to warn you, they are very heavy.  I have to replace a section of subfloor where I dropped one.

They are spaced 48" OC per John's plans.