20x30 1.5 changes (pier foundation)

Started by wendigo, May 24, 2010, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendigo

I am looking at modifying the 20x30 plans as follows

This will put a gabled mudroom on the front, and a 2' x 8' bumpout on one side.

I am going to size up the foundation beams a bit from the plans as we have a large snowload (we will also be posting up ~3').

The area I am uncertain is the supporting beams for the entry mudroom. The porch plans provided don't seem like they would work well with the beam being under the gable end.

So instead of a single center support of the rimjoist, I'm thinking that two supports spaced for the mudroom would be more appropriate and then to run beams parallel with the main structure's supports. As indicated by the red squares in this image. Though they may get pulled in a bit from what is shown in this image to decrease the span.

It will just involve one more hole to be dug. Just making sure that this is the way to go and that I am not missing anything.

Oh, no codes to speak of so we could make a blue tarp teepee if we were so inclined.

Thanks for reviewing my questions.

John Raabe

Yes that should work fine. Use the same full span joists running right to left and short side beams spanning the 6' sides of the mudroom. At the bumpout, you can use the standard pier layout (with joists on top) and cantilever for the 2' bumpout.

A header beam under the rafters at the wall line takes most of the weight off these cantilevered joists.
None of us are as smart as all of us.