Changing floor plan: Grandfather Cabin

Started by piole, March 12, 2010, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piole

I recently selected the Grandfather Cabin as a base plan.  I am interested in making some minor modifications to the floor plan layout.  My intent is to build one footprint now but provide for the opportunity to construct a mirror image layout in the future.  To do this I would sacrifice part of the Dining Room area to a main/ensuite bath (two doors), divide the bath-utility room to put utilities on the back wall and create a breakfast nook accros the front.  That way when phase II comes on I can join the mirror image at the short side roof line, still have a common outside wall for expanding utilities, and create a small "courtyard" effect across the front.  Although I havn't received my plans yet is there any reason the above layout won't work?   

John Raabe

I don't have a complete picture of what you are describing but it sounds like it should work. We would love to see your proposed project and you can post an image when you get rolling on it.

If you get one of the appropriate home design programs (see this article) you can load in the reversed template file and modify the layout to develop your future options. Since the plan is truss roofed the structural layouts are pretty straight forward. If your building department wants more developed drawings your modified template files can be imported into most CAD drafting systems.

None of us are as smart as all of us.