Optional raised roof at loft. sheet e-4, e-6.

Started by dajo41, March 13, 2007, 07:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dajo41

Got my Enchilada plan set and i'm exited. I'm not an real experienced builder (Yet), however I'm determined.
:question I'm planning to build 12x18 first, live out of this then thinking on maybe ordering victorian plans and going with 16x24 addition verses 14x24. Does anyone see any concerns I should have with this?
:question Also can I follow details for the optional raised roof at loft for 14x24 (page e-4 and e-6) on my 12x18 to get some head room in the loft? And if I wanted to relocate bathroom to opposite side of house would I be sacraficing needed support for loft?

jraabe

The 12 x 18 would be a good first project and the simplified 16 x 24 would be a good match for a proportional addition.

Yes, you can do the taller walls in the 12' wide building too and hang the floor joists as shown in the details you mention. If you didn't have the walls under the loft floor joists I think I would go to 2x8 @ 16" o/c rather than the 24" centers shown for the lower loft. You will have a wider area to load up with the taller loft. Alternatively you could do 2x10 @ 24" (or 4x10 @ 48" if you wanted to deck the loft w/ 2x6 T&G).

dajo41

Thanks John, Been thinking about your suggestions and also I made a litte model as you describe in the little house kit. This was really helpful and fun to :). I've decided to raise roof and leave walls under loft. I'm just going to move the bathroom and loft to other side of house in order to accomadate my Plans for the future bigger addition. Thanks again.

jraabe

Models are very helpful and are a way of prebuilding as well as getting a sense of the scale of things.

I'll bet you build a better house because you built a model first.