Plan details

Started by ollie, February 05, 2007, 07:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollie

I have the Victorias plans and am wanting to build the simple studio floor plan. I would like to know what details that need to be on the plans to make them ready to submit. Thanks, Ollie

jraabe

Ollie:

As you know, the 16' studio house is a bit of a bonus with the Victoria plans so it is missing a few things from being a full permit orientated plans set. But, all the structural information is there and you can cut and paste the rest. Here's how I would do it...

Make up a couple of extra sets at the copy shop or go to an 11x17 self-serve copier and make copies of what you will need to paste into new pages.
• The alternative cross section and eave rafter detail on p. 1 copy as is but change "alternative" to typical since this will the only cross section in your new set.
• You will need to derive the foundation plan from the floor plan information on the p. 3 plan. You can probably just "X" out the foundation type you won't use.
• You will need to do a scale drawing of the floor plan layout you want in terms of windows, doors, stair, bathroom, etc. You can trace over the basic shape and layout of the p. 3 plan and/or cut and paste any elements you find you want from the Victoria floorplan.
• Decide if you want any of the porch options and copy them into the foundation and floor plans.
• You will need to show the window, door and porch layouts on the basic elevations (4 views) of the sides of the house. You can produce these by carefully cutting and triming the existing 16' wide portions of the Victoria plan.

If you want to learn the basic 3D Home Architect program, it will be able to produce scaled floorplans with windows, doors, cabinets, electrical, ect. You can print these and the four elevations out at 1/4" scale and paste these into your new set. A template for the floorplan of a 16x28 Cottage can be found at the PlanHelp.com site templates and this could be simplified down to fit your size.

This probably is not exactly what you want, but it can be modified (I would raise the loft ceiling to match the new cross section assuming you want the room in the loft.) The 3D aspect of this program is helpful since it gives you a feel for the space rather quickly.

Of course, you could also have a local designer or draftsperson customize this plan for you. They will likely do it in less time than it would take you. (Lots of the parts of designing and building a house boil down to that. IE: Do I really want to learn how to do my own concrete work or electrical wiring?)

Good luck on this. We'll love to see what you come up with.

ollie

Thank you very much.