Author Topic: Builder's Cottage  (Read 2993 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Builder's Cottage
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi John,

I bought the Builder's Cottage plans a few years ago, before they were combined with the Big Enchilada.  I was reading the Skagit County (WA) Code last night and the question is this - do the plans, as drawn, meet the 2003 IBC or 2003 IRC?  And are they ready, as is, to present to the Planning and Development Commission or will I need to do something else?

There were several "requirements" in the code that I'm wondering how to get around.  For example, I'm looking at some lots in a Cascade river development that has no electricity.  How do you hardwire and interconnect smoke alarms without electricity....   How do you have forced air whole house ventilation - according to their multiple choice checklist - without electricity?  And I'm wondering whether a composting toilet would be approved, and if so, could I do without a septic tank or do something smaller (less expensive) for the gray water.  It's an actual subdivided community and I'm assured the lot has been certified, just curious as to how people get around such things.

Homesick Gypsy (Epiphany)


  • Guest
Re: Builder's Cottage
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 03:23:13 PM »
In general the Builder's Cottage plan that you have will meet the 2003 codes. That said, that doesn't mean that local requirements might not want something additional or different. For instance, our WA earthquake potential is greater than most of the U.S. - the house is well braced, but the inspector may require an engineering review and the engineer might add a few hold-downs or straps to the plans. There will no doubt be other notes on the plans when you get them back (there always are!).

Your issues with electricity can probably be worked out. Passive ventilation and battery smoke alarms are likely to be an acceptable compromise for a home without power (IMHO - but nobody can speak for your inspector  ;))

The issue of the composting toilet is one for the county health department. I expect the Bldg Dept will go along if the Health Dept. approves it. This is a state by state situation. If certain alternative gray water and composting systems have been approved by the state board of health, then the county will usually go along.

You need to get the sheet out of your plans set labeled "Taking your plans to the Bldg. Dept." and go spend a day with the county folks. Go through that checklist and you will understand a lot more about your options.

PS - If your plans are old and you don't have that sheet send me an email and I'll get it to you.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:37:14 PM by jraabe »


Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 36 - 1105KB. (show)
Cache hits: 11: 0.00129s for 40,664 bytes (show)
Queries used: 21.

[Show Queries]