Considering Universal 20' wide 2-story Cottage Plans

Started by sgleaton, October 26, 2009, 08:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgleaton

I am considering purchasing these plans but have a question. I need to be able to build the house as cheaply as possible. Which type foundation is best suited? I live in Alabama...clay soil. I thought about a pier and beam foundation...

MountainDon

Are you in a code zone? Is there a local building department that knows the soil? Local regulations may have to be considered if there are any. They may be your best source for what is best for your foundation. Most everything from the ground up is pretty much the same wherever you are, with some exceptions like vapor barriers, seismic and high winds. The foundation requirements can vary a lot with local conditions.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sgleaton

No codes, at least where I plan on building anyway. I have seen some buildings/homes from way back that were built with the pier and beam and they even had the stacked stone pillars on some older homes that are still standing. What I had considered was either the 6x6 treated posts, treated or painted with tar, putting about a foot or so of pea gravel in the bottom of the hole, and dry mix of soil and crete to fill in or pouring a footing for each pier and use the concrete block and fill them with concrete.

Oh, I forgot to ask. When ordering the plans  # Z012-A, do I need to order any other information. I see in the information about the file something about materials list. Does this not come as part of the plans?

bayview

You might have to "stabilize" the soil or run you piers to bedrock . . .

Here is a site about clay soil stabilization . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .