electrical code question...

Started by NM_Shooter, June 14, 2008, 03:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm currently installing refrigerated air and am running wires. 

I am running both 240VAC and signal wires for the solenoids.

Can I run the power lines and the signal lines in the same conduit and junction boxes, or is it required by code to keep these separate?

Thanks....

Frank

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

NM_Shooter

Okay... in poking around on the web, it appears that this is not allowed by code to combine signal and power in same conduit.  So now I have a follow up questioion.

Keeping the power in a flex conduit, and my signal wires are now separate, can I pass them through the roof in the same hole / flashing?

Thanks...

-f-

MountainDon

Is there any danger of interference in the signal wires from the AC power? Or do the signal wires simply carry power or not as in on-off, rather than a signal of some kind?

??? ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

The signal wires control the on/off of the compressor.  They are terminated at the air handler, and there is no isolation to the thermostat.

I just talked to an electrician.  He told me that you can run power and signal wires in the same conduit, but in order to do this, the insulation rating on the low voltage wiring must be certified for 600V.

I'm going to run the signal wires exterior to the conduit.

-f-

Willy

Quote from: NM_Shooter on June 14, 2008, 09:13:01 PM
The signal wires control the on/off of the compressor.  They are terminated at the air handler, and there is no isolation to the thermostat.

I just talked to an electrician.  He told me that you can run power and signal wires in the same conduit, but in order to do this, the insulation rating on the low voltage wiring must be certified for 600V.

I'm going to run the signal wires exterior to the conduit.

-f-
Yep he is right just has to be insulated for the same voltage and MUST be the control for that equipment not another one. Also the power for both must be turned off by the same disconect that is for servicing the unit not a transformer that is powered off another circuit out of the panel. I did this all the time on fire alarms in hospitals, schoolos ect. The magnetic door holders some times would be 120 volts and the wiring ran in the same pipes as the smoke detectors, pull stations, alarms ect. Mark

NM_Shooter

Willy...

I ran separate circuits for the condenser (50A) and air handler (15A).  I had planned on having separate local disconnects for them.  Is this not allowed?

Do they make two-circuit disconnects that are controlled by a single plug? 

Willy

Quote from: NM_Shooter on June 15, 2008, 10:08:55 AM
Willy...

I ran separate circuits for the condenser (50A) and air handler (15A).  I had planned on having separate local disconnects for them.  Is this not allowed?

Do they make two-circuit disconnects that are controlled by a single plug? 
Group the disconects for the equipment if you can. The problem arrises when you run wiring thru a peice of equipment to another one. See the guy who works on it sees the one disconect, turns it off and goes to work on it only to get shocked by wiring that is still "HOT" inside the equipment. That is why sometimes you see signs that say more than one switch controls this equipment. If concerened set a 2-4 circuit panel that you can put the breakers in with in view of the equipment. Yes more than one breaker can be used to control stuff it is done all the time in heaters, large loads ect. What they do is group them and label the breakers. Mark