Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

Started by MountainDon, January 10, 2013, 11:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

This is a long article; a 15 minute read for sure. Well worth it in my view.

"You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect? How can you communicate with these people who seem to be out of touch with reality and rational thought? One approach to help you deal with anti-gun people is to understand their psychological processes. Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them.

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

If guns cause murder then cars cause DWI's.   

It's not about the tool  (gun, automobile, etc).   It is about personal responsibility.

Teaching a mentally challenged kid how to use firearms was not responsible parenting . . .

Gun control - Weapon confiscation is on the horizon . . . The agenda is set and there will be no stopping it.

Fees, permits, gun free zones, hunting free zones, abolishing "assault weapons", hand guns and semi-automatics are just the beginning.   I'm guessing one of the next steps is fees and permits to buy ammo.   You will need to fill out "paperwork" describing-proving the reason and use for the purchase.   There will be a limit and a waiting period.   Military and hand gun calibers will be eliminated.   Prices will skyrocket.   Soon, you will only be able to get ammo "black market" from the person who had foresight to hoard such things.

Hide your weapons well.   The next "emergency" (Reichstag Fire) and we may see door to door confiscation without warrants.   A special emergency bill would be enacted.   Liberties abolished.   

Quote"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."
- Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

Quote"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
- Heinrich Himmler"

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

NM_Shooter

Probably too late to change my forum handle.  I'm on way too many lists anyway.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"