Tyvek vs Tar paper...again

Started by PaperStreet, April 29, 2012, 10:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaperStreet

I've seen some great resources on this site regarding the use of tar paper vs tyvek (or similar) and so I won't rehash the pro's and cons. I am however in the process of trying an experiment and would appreciate and feedback from some of the more venerable builders among us.
    In an effort to get the best of both worlds I've wrapped the window and door sections with tyvek and sticky backed membrane for their ease of use in those awkward areas (flexibility, compatibility with slap staples, etc.) and now I'm covering the big flat spaces with 15lb felt so the majority benefits from the durability  (its going under cedar shake) and breath-ability of tar paper (fairly wet area).

If any of you know of any disastrous reactions between the two products or some other cautionary tales of that nature please let me know soon as this is happening today. The siding won't go up till later in the week so I would have time to make changes if necessary. Otherwise I will keep you all posted on how the project goes.

thanks

PEG688

Tyvek and Typar do not like oil based products to touch them. It breaks down the wrap , if you read up on Tyvek they want you to use their tape not Vycor which is oil based . The Tyvek "Protect tape" is compatible with the wraps , but it doesn't stick as well.

So you are treading on creating issues I think mixing the products.   

ETA:

Doing it your way you need to pay attention to how you lap the products , always lead the water on top of the lower product , create the shingling effect with the products. NEVER lap the lower pieces over the upper pieces , a common mistake made with wrapping a building , even when the same product is used. People seem to  think they've "covered" the wall , but if it's lapped "bass-ackwards ", they've done more harm than good. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .