increasing solar performance with mirrors

Started by hnash53, February 20, 2007, 04:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

Check out the following link:

http://www.rain.org/~philfear/panelplus.html

This guy uses mirrors to increase the output of his solar panels.

What do you think?

Seems plausible to me.

glenn-k

Seems I remember something about too much heat on the panels causing them to drop off - and the guy was threatened with voiding of warranty.  May need more research into that - or someone who knows already.

phalynx

It is true that as the temp rises on the panels, their effeciency drops like a rock.  There is a new type of panel that is designed for this purpose but is FAR too expensive at this point.

hnash53

Well, I'm in Wyoming at 8000+ elevation, so the temp is lower than in the desert SW.  From April to October, the angle is just right since the panels will be mounted on the south-facing side of a 12 in 12 pitched roof, so mirrors at that time of the year may not help so much.  In the winter, the angle of the sun will be much lower and that was where I was really hoping to get some benefit from using mirrors.

If anyone comes up with anything on this, I'd appreciate their input.

Thanks.

Dustin

Another alternative to this type of solar concentrator idea is to use smaller cells that are less heat sensitive in combination with a fresnel lens and tracker.  The SunCube seems like a promising appliance that will be selling soon.

http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/

Amanda_931

That's what I was going to mention.  It might make it this year.  Available in AC--built-in inverter for the grid-tied--and DC models.

but for things that need heat--including, paradoxically, things like refrigeration and air conditioning, the parabolic reflectors can be useful.

Dustin

Yes, there was another promising tech involving self-tracking mirrors with a sterling engine. Perfect for that setup.
I do hope that SunCube tech gets to the US sometime soon. I could really use it.

Amanda_931

Yes, the old Sunflower--stirling engine in the middle of the mirrors.  

Company's still around, but much more interested in putting huge installations of pretty normal PV "flatties" (IIRC) than working with that non-PV stirling arrangement.

Idea was posted to a number of lists, a handful of us wanted to be beta testers, but then it went nowhere.

The sunball is supposed to take hail and strong winds.

Non-photo-voltaic sounds like it might be a very useful idea--much more suited for local manufacture, etc.