DIY New house wiring strategies

Started by MikeT, May 10, 2007, 10:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

As I raise and sheathe walls on my Victoria's Cottage project, I am trying to think ahead to next steps and to projects I can have others help with (amateurs on weekends).  With that in mind, I wonder if y'all have any tips, thoughts, strategies, or resources to share on the rough wiring elements.  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

I was thinking that if I mark where I want boxes and switches, that others can drill the holes in the studs and joists and nail in the boxes (after I land on the desired finished wall thickness).  Then I could run string (with notes) to simulate the wire and get that checked to see if it is okay pre-inspection. Then I could replace the strings with the romex.  Silly?

Thanks as always for your thoughts.

John_C

It sounds to me like more work than it's worth.  I doubt the inspector will care until the wire has been pulled and in some cases tied off (wire nuts installed).  If it's just normal restidential stuff lay it out sensibly and all will be well.  On my own homes I've tried to keep the big wire runs short....  meter to panel,  panel to water heater, stove, oven, dryer. Sometimes how you locate the meter box and/or panel can save you a long run of $$$ wire.

MikeT

Thanks.  I am trying my best to not have the inspectors have to deny something and then return, so I want to dry run something in a way that does not waste expensive wire and have it looked over my others who know better, prior to my rough inspection.  That was my fleeting thought at least.

I will definitely keep in mind the idea of short runs.  My service panel will be located very close to the kitchen, bathrooms, and washer/dryer, so I hope that is a good decision.

mt

jraabe

I would definately have an electrician who is up on current codes walk through the house when the studs are open and help you mark the location of all switches, outlets, panels, etc. This is much easier to visualize in the actual house than it is on a paper plan. You will see the light coming in the windows, know which way the doors will swing, etc. After that you can pull the wire and have him come back for the final hookups at the main.

You want to do this because there are constant local changes in electrical codes and the inspector will only tell you when it is WRONG!

I had an owner builder who studiously read two books on wiring and then the couple pulled all their own wire and hooked everything up and was all done ready for the inspector. He shows up and says, "Oh, too bad! That type of cable was changed out 8 months ago and you will have to replace all this wire with new material".

That was not a fun project redoing all that work!  :P