Stair cabinet

Started by Canvasman, December 05, 2013, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canvasman

I have a open stair well to basement. I would like to build a bookshelf type cabinet, instead of railing, to keep from failing into the opening. I thought about 2*4 rectangular box screwed to floor, then build plywood cabinet to drop over, and nailed at bottom into 2*4s. However I worry that someone leaning against it could push it over. This house is 864 sgft so I'm lookin for all the storage I can, I thought 12 inch deep cabinet wall with a seat somehow. Any thoughts, ideas? This would be an 9 foot long by 3 foot high wall.
Thanks Eric

old_guy

I may misunderstand your description, but it seems that the cabinet or the 2x box could also be fastened at the top to the floor joists.

Can you provide a sketch of the area and your plan to address it?

rick91351

Quote from: Canvasman on December 05, 2013, 10:13:52 PM
I have a open stair well to basement. I would like to build a bookshelf type cabinet, instead of railing, to keep from failing into the opening. I thought about 2*4 rectangular box screwed to floor, then build plywood cabinet to drop over, and nailed at bottom into 2*4s. However I worry that someone leaning against it could push it over. This house is 864 sgft so I'm lookin for all the storage I can, I thought 12 inch deep cabinet wall with a seat somehow. Any thoughts, ideas? This would be an 9 foot long by 3 foot high wall.
Thanks Eric

I to am having a hard time seeing what you vision.  But if it is like I am thinking it is not going to pass code.  I would assume it is inspected.  You might give your inspector a call.  I have sold two houses that the inspection required hand rails be changed to code.  Both were like they were when I bought the homes.

Handy stairway code guide I had bookmarked.    http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/IRC2006.pdf

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Canvasman

The short wall will be a railing, but for the longer wall, I would like to build a cabinet to put gloves, hat etc. and a place to sit. However I would rather not build a 2*4 studded wall and attach to that, as I would lose 4 inches of space. Instead a cabinet railing high about 12 inches deep.
Picture below change long railing to cabinet.

Eric