Building in NC & need pier foundation ideas

Started by rixwirld, August 16, 2007, 07:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rixwirld

Hi All,

My name is Rick and I am new to your forum. I own 2 acres in Shoal Creek NC on a hill. The land consists of mainly 15-20 yr old forest with clay and rock soil. I would like to build a 12x20 cabin on piers. This cabin will be a "green" off grid design that will incorporate solar and wind for power. Ventilation will provided via windows strategically placed to take advantage of the year round mountain breezes. This place is pretty remote with no cell phone signal. C.B. Radio will be the communication of choice as the local emergency services monitors channel 9 24 hours a day.
Not to get too far off topic, Can anyone offer some suggestions on pier foundation construction typically found in this area? I am not in high elevation. What concern should I have for frost heave in the area. What would you recommend as the best materials to use? I look forward to all ideas. everyone seems to be very helpful.
Thanks.
rixwirld

MountainDon

Hi Rick & Welcome?

Do you have to worry about local building code? Or are you really remote? Here the county development department rules apply everywhere. Everywhere they can find you that is.  ;) If the local p&z or development dept will be involved ask them what's required of pier foundations, the frost depth, etc.  If they're not going to be involved (hope you don't have to deal with them) are there any neighbors who have built similarly.

There may be somebody on this forum with some first hand experience in your area. Just where are you in NC?

You should have a look at John's Little House plans. http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html They contain a lot of good info and they're more than reasonably priced. There are three widths, 10, 12 & 14 foot. The lengths can be adjusted to suit; going longer/shorter is no sweat, unlike modifying a plan for width. The 12 footer sits on 2 support beams, 4x8 inch normally with piers 4 feet apart. Use a bigger beam and you can place fewer piers farther apart.

Your cabin size and situation sound similar to mine. I plan on going with solar PV for electric. Big difference is there's an Allltel cell tower less than 2 miles from me, about 1200 feet higher, so cell service is super.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

What he said - good reply, Don. :)

Welcome to the forum, Rick.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

Howdy neighbor,

I googled Shoal Creek NC and came up with Cherokee county, NC.   If that's where you are I'm just down the road.  I'm in Gilmer county GA.  About 30 mi, south of the point where Ga, NC and TN meet.  
There should be house on piers or post near you in Andrews or Bryson City.  If you drive up to Linville or Boone you'll see hundreds on mountainsides you wouldn't think buildable.  It's commonly done in that area and you could get some ideas just looking at existing houses.  The builders cottage would be that size and John has details for that type of foundation.