Loft joists

Started by leinom, June 27, 2007, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leinom

Hi, I have been trying to come up with how I'm going to roof my 18' x 14' cabin, and have come up with what I believe to be "ridge pole" style. The best way to describe this is what was done in the Nicolaisen "Boat Builders Cottage". This is the quote I'm wondering if someone would have pictures of this to better explain. I'm also dropping my ceiling a foot for more loft head room (from 8 and a half to 7 and a half).
"Instead of resting the loft joists on the top of the top plate, I bolted them into the studs directly under the plate (so they work as collar ties) and carried the load to the floor with 2x2's sistered to the studs. We attached the rafters to the plates with metal framing anchors. "

I would be interested in doing this because it sounds like birds mouthing is avoided. Thanks!

Mark

leinom

http://www.countryplans.com/nicolaisen.html
Forgot to add the link. Also forgot to mention I would like a decent amount of over hang (foot and a half maybe?) Thanks again

Mark

builderboy

RE: dropping the loft height - the builders cottage plan shows an 8' high loft on 12' walls sitting on let in ledgers (as opposed to bolted to studs). This alternative has been beat around on a previous thread on this site.

John Raabe

The 1-1/2 story plans are the ones that best document this type of ledger supported floor. I would not rest a loft on just the bolts or nails of a surface mounted ledger. Better to let it into the studs, but you need the stud depth to do that properly.

Do a search on ledger or let-in ledger for more information.
None of us are as smart as all of us.