Stack vent out a wall??

Started by skiwest, March 30, 2007, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiwest

In know the code in Canada doesn't allow it in buildings less than 4 stories but was wondering if anyone had done it that way.  Going with a catheral ceiling and don't want to run up on inside roof as will be solid foam sheets or on underside of ceiling as will be visible.  That corner of cabin  won't have any windows that should be covered.  Will be beneath roof over hang  but going with 10 foot walls on first floor and cabin floor will be 5 feet off grade so lots of room for vent.

John Raabe

I don't know if I like that idea... This is a sewer gas vent and it's nice to get it up above the roof and out in the open air. Check with a plumber as they can usually find a way to vent almost anything. Sometimes you can go down into the floor system to get over to a wall.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

skiwest

Actaully will be on outside wall , its just that with the snow I think if I go to the roof I should go to the peak.  

will be on side with no windows so lets say 20 feet from front porch , 10 feet from back corner , back of the house will have windows.

will be 10 feet off grade and 5 feet below eves.

Kevin

this is what I did at my cabin.

Kevin

PEG688

Actaully will be on outside wall , its just that with the snow I think if I go to the roof I should go to the peak.  

Go thru the roof a foot or so above , no need to go anywhere near the peak , in fact stay away from the peak and any valley with all roof penetrations .

No need to cause yourself flashing issue like trying to flash around a plumbing vent , fart fan / roof vent by putting it in the peak.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Okie_Bob

Why not go with a Studer valve? That is basically a check valve that opens when the system needs air and closes as soon as the system no longer calls for air.
You can buy them in most any plumbing supply store in various sizes. I used them in my garage apartment and have them installed in my house with out a single penetration of my metal roof. You can probably see one if you have an island with a sink in it. How else would you vent the sink if not for a Studer valve?
I may have the spelling wrong but, that is how it is pronounced.
Okie Bob

glenn-k

They also call them mechanical vents -- I like them - sometimes the building officials won't let you use them unless there is no other way.

Okie_Bob

I don't know what there is to not like about them Glenn. No roof penetrations is much desired by me. And I know they work over a period of time. Understand they are used exclusively in Europe nowadays. Course that doesn't mean anything as they don't do most things right in my opinion.
Okie Bob

glenn-k

I guess you have to call them an air admittance valve instead of mechanical vent.

QuoteIAPMO Research and Testing, the listing agency in the organization that authors the UPC, has authorized Studor air admittance valves to bear the "classified" marking. Their evaluation report says "When properly used, an air admittance valve system is equivalent to an open piped vent system." The UPC still does not directly recognize air admittance valves, though the use of "Alternate Methods and Materials" is allowed under section 301.2.1. Local jurisdictions have the right to approve air admittance valves, though the acceptance by one jurisdiction has no bearing on the rules for other jurisdictions. Air admittance valves have full approval under all other major codes, and have been used successfully for over 20 years.

http://www.abhomeinspections.com/PlumbingSystems.html

Okie_Bob

Hey Glenn, I had the name correct, just didn't spell it right..should be Studor not Studer...can I get a little slack now??
I don't have a picture of one but they are really neat. Glenn maybe you could post a pic if you have one so others know what we are talking about.
'air admittance valve'? fits I guess, just not sure I can remember that name.
Okie Bob

glenn-k

From the above site -- here you go BoB. :)

PA-Builder

Air Admittance Valves (AAVs) are used only to allow air to enter INTO the system, while the main vent stack allows air to enter or exit the system.  AAVs are fine for a sink, etc.,  if local code permits; however, you still need a main vent.  Hope this helps.

glenn-k

That makes sense, PA-Builder.  There does tend to be a bit of swishing that wants to take place during a big flush - first air out then air to relieve suction on the pipe as the water heads for the septic tank.

skiwest

Go thru the roof a foot or so above , no need to go anywhere near the peak , in fact stay away from the peak and any valley with all roof penetrations .

No need to cause yourself flashing issue like trying to flash around a plumbing vent , fart fan / roof vent by putting it in the peak.

I wasn't clear enough , should have been near peak as cabin will be in high  snow area so didn't want down low where snow would be hung up or the vent might be damage by a sudden slide.

Also timing works for me for a wall vent as will be doing plumbing next year and roof this summer.

tc-vt

Here's the 2003 International Residential Code on vents

P3103.5 Location of vent terminal

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet directly beneath any door, openable window or air intake of the building, nor 10 feet horizontally of such opening unless it is 2 feet above the top of such opening.

I think I have heard where it is acceptable to terminate under an eave as long as it is not a vented soffit or eave which vents into the attic space.

Tom

skiwest

I haven't read that code but seen it referenced to say what you posted.  I think I'm OK with it.