Recent posts

General Forum / Re: Subfloor and Rain
Last post by jsahara24 - July 16, 2024, 03:13:31 PM
I only have experience with advantech, which was a positive experience but I only left it exposed for a month or so.  We did get quite a bit of rain...

If you aren't able to create a temporary tarp roof (maybe billboard tarp?), then make sure that there is a way for the water to get out....We drilled holes to let the water drain through, and make sure you cutout your door floor plates...
General Forum / Subfloor and Rain
Last post by rothbard - July 16, 2024, 01:18:38 PM
Howdy,

Was wondering if anyone used plywood subfloor and left it exposed to rain for several months.  I'm getting ready to lay it down and probably won't have a roof finished for 6 months.  Predicted amount of total accumulation is 5-7 inches in that time.

I had planned on using 3/4" plywood since I need a little bit of give due to slightly unlevel joists from one to the next.  Otherwise I would use the stiffer advantech OSB stuff that seems to have a better moisture resistance.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20 x 30 cabin on the Illin...
Last post by jonathco - July 15, 2024, 11:19:26 AM
Wow, place looks great!
General Forum / Re: WANTED Family Circle Bolt-...
Last post by jsahara24 - July 15, 2024, 09:00:44 AM
Quote from: Motovista on July 14, 2024, 03:47:25 PMNobody said I wanted the  plans for free. I am willing to pay for the cost of reproduction, shipping and whatever other profit the owner requires.
The website says if you buy any of their house plans you can get them, so it seems that the cheapeast way is for you to buy the little house plans for 225$ and they will send you the plans you want. 

Now I dont' fault you for trying to get them cheaper, but don't be upset that they want to make money.  They are trying to run a small business which is becoming tougher with every passing year. 

Quote from: Motovista on July 14, 2024, 03:47:25 PMI will contact Mr. Raabe, and if does indeed make the complete plans available for a reasonable sum, come back to this forum and polish off a very large serving of crow.
haha...I love crow so look forward to it!   Seriously though don't be offended by my comments, i'm just a guy who understands how difficult it is to run a small business...
General Forum / Re: WANTED Family Circle Bolt-...
Last post by Motovista - July 14, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
Quote from: jsahara24 on May 29, 2024, 08:44:55 AMThe guy has never contributed to this forum and then comes on complaining that the owners are trying to make a little bit of money.  I will never fault someone for trying to make a living, but I will fault someone for trying to get something free without being willing to contribute/work....I think its called being entitled, but what do I know....
Nobody said I wanted the  plans for free. I am willing to pay for the cost of reproduction, shipping and whatever other profit the owner requires. What I take umbrage at is being required to purchase something I have no interest in, for considerably more money, in order to get them for free. At one point, they were available on a site that either became this site, merged with this site, or was acquired by the site. There, they could be "purchased" for about $30. Were that still the case, I would have them by now, and so would anyone else who wanted them and thought $30 was fair. You likely need to get a dictionary out and look up the word "entitled," because wanting to pay for something is likely not the definition of that word. And if someone has no interest in what you are doing, but came here specifically because every search for a particular item that person wants ends here, that would preclude long term participation, wouldn't it? 
I will contact Mr. Raabe, and if does indeed make the complete plans available for a reasonable sum, come back to this forum and polish off a very large serving of crow. 
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - July 13, 2024, 01:10:12 AM
Version 3.5.8 - 07.12.2024
- Enabled the "Edit Roof Assembly" function for gable rafter roofs with glulam beams (imperial and metric units).
- Enabled the "Edit Roof Assembly" function for I-joist rafter roofs with glulam beams (imperial and metric units).
- Enabled the "Edit Roof Assembly" function for I-joist rafter roofs with dual glulam beams (imperial and metric units).
- Added BCI, LPI, Red-I and PKI I-joists to the rafter roof module (glulam beam and dual glulam beam roofs).

General Forum / Re: Woodstove Clearance to wal...
Last post by cbc58 - July 12, 2024, 05:36:00 PM
Thank you for the info...
Last post by MountainDon - July 12, 2024, 01:19:24 PM
Note that if the images show with the photobucket imprint you can click on the image to open an unoscured image. At least that works for me on the PC. My android phone displays an unobscured image.but tapping it dors nothing. But a long touch allows some actions.
Last post by MountainDon - July 12, 2024, 01:10:53 PM
The wood burner in our gazebo was not a stove, but was a chiminea. THIS LINK will take you to the CountryPlans page of my cabin topic. There are images there to illustrate what a chiminea is and the wall treatment as well as the chimney.

Our chiminea was last aluminum. It was not meant to be connected to a chimney of any kind. They are meant to be used as a free-standing fireplace. However, I found that a class A chimney adapter could be cemented into the chimney top of the chiminea. That allowed me to connect 6" single-wall black chimney pipe and then transition to an insulated chimney through the roof. It worked well for us for many years.

The only reason I am using the past tense is that the Cerro Pelado wildfire of 2022 burned the gazebo down along with its contents. The aluminum chiminea melted down and ran into a puddle on the ground. The puddle was an interesting shape, not just a roundish puddle. It now hangs on the fence wall at home in the suburbs. The cabin survived untouched but the sheds on the other end of the cabin also burned. On the three acres around the cabin we have 87 surviving ponderosa pines, all some 65+ feet tall.
Last post by cbc58 - July 12, 2024, 07:09:07 AM
Thank you Mt. Don.  That is what I read, 66% reduction, but was unclear on the actual number arrived at.  Does that mean you can go from 18" down to 6.5" from the metal plate ?  

I was thinking of putting a medium sized double-door wood stove on a 3 season porch - mostly for the ambiance of a fireplace - but also to take the chill off during the colder months.  Could I ask how you vent your wood burner and maybe what make/model you are using?  Does the pipe go out the side and up -- or straight up through the roof ?  Tks.