Chimney question

Started by diyfrank, January 27, 2009, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

I climb up on the roof to clean my chimney.  The rain cap didn't want to come off and I ended up pulling the top section of pipe loose from just below the roof.  It won't go back down because there is some flashing that holds it in place and fits tightly around the stack.

Question, I'm I screwed?  :-\ :-[
How do I get the stack back in place so I can use my wood stove?

I'm working today, I check in tonight.
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

Oh crap!   :o

It's pretty much impossible to insert the pipe into the flashing from above like that.  >:(

Is there one of those narrow ring things secured with a clamping bolt at the top edge of the flashing - where the pipe enters/exits the flashing? Remove that  first.

Then if you are unable to wiggle and cajole the chimney pipe into the flashing I think you will have to make a few small radial cuts into the flashing to allow entry of the pipe. Then you'll have to rely on caulk to seal the cuts until spring when you may want to install a new chimney flashing.

I use short stainless steel screws to secure each section to the next, 3 screws per joint. I do not use screws for the cap joint though as they deform the metal enough to make removal of the cap more difficult.

G/L.   Mybe somebody knows a better way that cutting into the flashing.   ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

Fixed!   :)

I decide to try and wrap the bottom of the stack  with aluminum flashing and stick the flashing inside the existing flashing to create a shoehorn. It slid right into place and locked tight.

Don thanks for your suggestions.  There was no clamp or screw connecting the two sections. They fit together tight and seem to lock in place.

MountainDon

Super!   If you're in the attic sometime put a couple SS screws in the joint to lock so you won't run into that again.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

The attic has a clamp holding two sections together. The joint that came apart is at the roof. About 8" below the top of the roof. No way to secure it that I can see. The flashing below the roof fits around the pipe tight. Thats what was so hard to work on. The joint is between the top and the bottom of the roof section with no access from the attic. Seems to fit tight but, they could have made it a little more service friendly. The stove is working and I'm happy  c*