New Member, Planning Remote Cottage

Started by RusticJames, March 03, 2011, 11:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RusticJames

Hello. I just joined and I'm planning to sell my 1,450 sq. ft. 3 BR vacation home on a private lake in NW lower Michigan. We had a lot of fun there over the years but now I find that I spend as much time maintaining the place as using it. I'm at the point in my life where I crave solitude more than a lake association, the howl of coyotes more than the sound of the neighbor's laughter.

I'm going to use the proceeds to purchase a minumum of 10 acres and build a small cabin. I have a good idea of what I want and although I have found some good plans, it is likely that I will have to modify whatever plans I buy. I've done a considerable amount of building over the years but it is not my full time occupation. I'm a licensed builder and full-time engineer in the automotive industry. I might opt to draw up my own plans.

I plan to spend the next few months or so to sell the lakefront cottage and finalize my cabin plans. Then over the next year I will purchase new land. My idea is to build something that is remote and off the grid. This will serve as a hunting/fishing/snowmobiling cottage and also as a getaway for me and the family if they wish to come along.

I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas with others and I will help anyone that I can.

John Raabe

w* RusticJames

There are several people on this forum that have done just what you are planning. When you have a specific question it will get seen by more people if you post in the General forum, or the Owner-builder forum when you have land and are ready to start building.

Best wishes on your land search. Here are some articles I wrote that might help: http://www.countryplans.com/landkit/index.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

RusticJames

John, thanks for the welcome. Pointers well taken. I am reading your articles with great interest.

Texas Tornado

Quote from: RusticJames on March 03, 2011, 06:43:13 PM
John, thanks for the welcome. Pointers well taken. I am reading your articles with great interest.
w*
All the stories here are awesome!