Main Menu

Recent posts

General Forum / Re: OFF GRID POWER; various th...
Last post by MountainDon - Yesterday at 08:23:24 PM
It depends on whether or not the inverter has a bonded neutral or a floating neutral. If it has a bonded neutral then there should not be a second bond in the service panel. You can use one of these 3 led testers to check... Plug the tester into the inverter receptacle and see if the 2 "correct" lights illuminate. That would mean the inverter has a bonded neutral.  That tester can also be used on a generator test and of course your home.

The service panel usually has a green screw inserted into the neutral buss, which will connect to the ground thru the metal case. Remove it to remove the neutral bonding; insert to bond.

I have seen an inverter be ruined by connection to a system with a service panel neutral bond.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by MountainDon - Yesterday at 07:13:54 PM
I have been leaving the PV array and charge controller working and connected to the GC-2 batteries every winter since 2009. Everything has worked fine all that time. I hope my luck holds. For the last few years when we leave in early to mid-December, we don't get back until maybe April. Leaving the CC work ensures the batteries don't self-discharge to a dangerously low level. The inverter and all DC uses are disconnected with proper disconnects; no reliance on an on-off switch on the inverter. Some of those leave a low parasitic drain.

When or if we go lithium at the cabin I will pull all the incoming disconnects too and leave the lithium batteries at mid-charge or thereabouts. My experience with lithium batteries here at home shows very little self-discharge over several months on non-use. I do leave the CC disconnected when we are absent from the  cabin during the lightning season (July thru early Sept.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 14x32 in NH Lakes Region
Last post by DavidRaftery - February 01, 2023, 04:31:30 PM
I have been absent from this forum for almost a year but work has continued on my cabin.

Most of my work in 2022 involved polyurethaning and nailing up T&G siding on the first floor walls, after I finished running all the wiring. I installed stereo speakers from a 12 volt car radio on the west wall, so now I have music and news! I still have to install the sheet metal on the wall behind the wood stove. I also dropped 2 dead trees last year and bucked them up for firewood.

I finally hooked up LED lights in the cellar so I can see what I am doing down there!

I have 2 spare water tanks up on the hill in addition to the 2 tanks in the cellar. I screwed up when I was draining one of them for the winter. When I opened the bottom drain, I forgot to remove the fill cap on top. The suction inside collapsed the tank. Whoops! I'll fill it this year and see if it is still mostly usable.

My daughter came up to the cabin twice last year with some friends, so it is finally getting some family use!

This year I plan to hook up the stove and on demand water heater to the propane lines. Then I can run hot water linies to the kitchen sink and the shower. It is about time that I build the cellar stairs as well. After that I will start nailing up the T&G under the roof rafters.
Last post by DavidRaftery - February 01, 2023, 02:19:14 PM
I have a question on grounding the neutral wire in a CB panel.

I plan on finally hooking up my 2,000 watt PSW inverter this spring. I will connect it to a standard 6 circuit AC electrical panel box. I only plan on using 3 of the circuits. I understand in normal grid tied main panels, the common leg is also connected to ground inside the panel to create an effective ground fault current path. On sub panels this is not necessary. Would there be any difference when using an inverter as the source of electrical input? Should I treat this the same as a main panel and bond the ground and neutral busses together?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Dave
Last post by OlJarhead - February 01, 2023, 07:35:48 AM
Thanks Don,

and ya, I don't like the genny doing it too much.  I've left it for a couple weeks before when I was living there so I'm ok with short runs but this next trip we will see.

I may have to make sure they are fully charged and then disco the entire thing when we leave.  I've always had them left hooked up so the little 12v fans could run in the back room to keep the heat circulating a little.
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - February 01, 2023, 03:39:58 AM
Once you have enough information specified in the Seismic tab then the "Download PDF Report" button will appear:

The PDF report will something like this (this one is actually a snow load report):

Last post by MountainDon - January 30, 2023, 05:45:01 PM
8 years on GC-2s is pretty good, very likely to have given trouble this year. We made it into the 9th year and issues began that gave more trouble than I cared to deal with.  My next battery purchase may be lithium, leaving them disconnected from everything over winter. They self-discharge very little and can't be charged below freezing in most cases anyhow. But I don't need or desire to leave anything electrical operating.

I don't know that I would be comfortable with leaving a generator to start and stop by itself over the winter.
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - January 29, 2023, 06:45:16 PM
Version 1.0.4 - 01.29.2023
- Added the Seismic tab to the Project Information tool.
- Added site parameters (Building Standard, Risk Category, Site Soil Class) to the General Data tab of the Project Information tool.
- Enabled the USGS lookup tool for the following standards: ASCE7-10, ASCE7-16, ASCE7-22.

This tab is not quite complete. I would like to add a button which allows one to automatically generate a PDF report with the seismic data.  Most of the code for that tool/feature is already in place but I need to still figure out the details between the integration of my website and the back end Ruby connection with SketchUp.

Once that piece of the puzzle is added then this tool actually becomes useful in the real world.
Last post by Hunterscabin - January 29, 2023, 03:48:04 PM
Anyone have experience with the Jackery Portable Power Station? 
Thought about going this route for the CPAP machine. Specifically on recharging. 
How long does it take to recharge with the power station's solar panels vs recharging from power source? 
Searched forum and found no other mention of this product. Certainly not trying give any push towards this item. Have not purchased it. 
Thanks
General Forum / Re: Rafter tails on 14x24 Litt...
Last post by NathanS - January 28, 2023, 09:55:25 AM
As long as your rafters sizes meet or exceed the prescriptive code tables I wouldn't worry about it. Exception is if you had a 2 story roof dropping snow onto a 1st story roof, then you would want to size up and be careful with connections. I am in 50lb snow load territory, but at elevation. I framed my house roof on 16 inch centers with 2x10s, and I'm pretty certain the rafter joist connection would fail before the rafters.

If you decided to go the purlin and exposed fastener metal roofing route, I used ABC roofing with "drip stop" applied to the interior roofing in my garage. Earlier this winter the exterior non-dripstop metal looked like someone sprayed it with a hose, and the drip stop I'm the attic was bone dry. It's not cheap but the installation was a dream. In snow areas you want to make sure metal roofing fasteners are sunk into a good connection like purlins. I noticed that snow will rip fasteners that are fastened to OSB.