location, location

Started by wildbil, December 04, 2008, 12:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbil

I was wondering what you all thought would be better...

Land thats close to town, to eliminate long distance travel to work.

or

Land way out in the middle of nowhere, lots of privacy, 30-45 minutes from town in good weather.
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

MountainDon

That's a very personal choice. Many have made the choice to live with a commute as long or even longer than that. That uses up a lot of resources, financial and material. How many times a week is part of the equation. IIRC, you stated someplace that you don't work 5 days a week. That would help. But keep in mind that is today's situation; what about tomorrow?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

There are a lot of pro's and con's to weigh.  Gas prices could shoot up tomorrow.  If you are a believer in peak oil then this might be a consideration.  In addition what kind of car could play into it too.  Gas is down at $2 a gallon.  If it doubled again, could you afford it?  Tripled?  What would the commute look like?  Wide open terrain or twisting mountain roads.
Also it looks like you have a very beautiful child from your picture.  Medical or Emergency services might also weigh in.  There was a story on the boards a few days ago about someone who had a place in a very remote area.  A car accident happened out there triggering a heart attack.  The man died because of a problem with the ambulance not getting to him.

If the roads are good and the travel is easy and you have a good gas mileage vehicle for the commute, the time sacrifice might be worth the lower price or better privacy.

MountainDon

Quote from: Squirl on December 04, 2008, 01:10:50 PM
Medical or Emergency services might also weigh in. 

Yes, that is one of the elements to consider, and with youngsters in the equation that could skew the decision in the direction of being closer to town. Some say, well people used to all live out in the boonies and had to make do as best as they could. That is true. However, it doesn't mean we should all return to the boonies. And what about winter time? How much of a factor is that. Employers tend to frown on employees who don't make it into work last time I checked.

Everyone has to decide for themselves and their family. Myself I see nothing wrong with living close to or in a developed area. There are good things. However there are good things in the boonies too.

Does this immediate choice have to be a permanent, for the rest of your life, choice? Perhaps stage one is closer to town, then when the kid(s) grow up and move out you could move further afield. ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.